× Forum Header

4th stepper on second parport

More
02 Mar 2011 14:43 #7545 by goaran
Hi there.

i have a 3 axis cnc and want to add a 4th stepper.
I dont want to change my breakout-board so i decided to use the second parallel port i have fot the extra stepper.
In StepconWizard i can assign pins to the parallelport and choose which one to use, but how can i specifie a different port adress for the A axis?

thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2011 19:25 #7546 by Kirk_Wallace
I haven't used Stepconf so I don't know for sure. From the Stepconf document page:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/config_stepconf.html

it looks like you check the second port box, then enter the port address. The address you enter needs to be the address of the base register of the parallel port card that you added for the second port. If this port is a PCI card, the command "lspci -v" should display a list of addresses that you can try. More here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?NetMos
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Startech

I assume you have already tried to do the above, if you were successful, the I think Stepconf would have created a "loadrt parport" that loads your first and second port, then attached both parport drivers to the base thread with addf parport.0 and addf parport.1. parport.1 is the new parport. After the "loadrt parport xxxx yyyy", hal pins should have been created, a set for parport.0 and a set for paraport.1. The new parport.1 pins should now be available for you to link to your A axis. This is all in your (my_config).ini and (my_config).hal files.

Oops. I just tried Stepconf and it doesn't present a page to set up parport.1, you will need to do this by editing the (my-config).hal file yourself. This page should get you started:
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/config_ini_config.html
--
Kirk Wallace
www.wallacecompany.com

More
03 Mar 2011 09:08 #7555 by goaran
Thanks for the quick answer,

Ok, then i will just edit it manually. Think this should not be to hard.

More
03 Mar 2011 12:00 #7556 by BigJohnT
You can just use the port index 0, 1 etc. instead of trying to figure out the address.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_parall...ort.html#sec:Parport

John

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds