× Forum Header

Negative home position seems to NOT work ???

More
23 Apr 2011 13:41 #9281 by kreature
Thanks.
I was at the local hw store just now and scored some 8mm precision threaded rods that should be better for feeds.
M8x1.25 should be better than M5x0.8 seeing how I have plenty position-accuracy vs stiffness in the design and could use the extra speed.
Also I got perfectly straight rods so no more whipping. Especially when I support em in both ends.

I also got some more MDF so I can make a longer Y table. The plan has always been to use a longer Y table if I need to, and it seems I need 300mm range on Y while my design only delivers 170 now.
Due to the flying X/Z I do have better range there than traditional gantry design though.
I can use entire width of table in X, It also allows tool length sensor to be located outside the main table area to be always available regardless of Y position. (Saving repositioning time when changing tools.)

I also have started work on a ultrasonic touchprobe that will allow contact probing without pressure and should as such yeld very accurate probing results even on soft materials.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2011 15:50 #9282 by BigJohnT
What is the hysteresis and repeatably of the ultrasonic sensor?

John

More
24 Apr 2011 15:08 #9298 by kreature
Won't know untill I finish it, but it should be good as near-contact should be easily distinguishable from actual contact.
That's one of the things that will be most fun to find out...
It is a bit more high tech than a springloaded set of contacts though. Luckally that's my job :)

More
24 Apr 2011 15:19 #9300 by BigJohnT
So your building an ultrasonic sensor? I thought you were using an off the shelf sensor... I can't wait to see that in action.

John

More
24 Apr 2011 20:22 #9302 by kreature
Yes. It is basically a ultrasonic resonator with a probe-tip on. When it touches something the resonance changes/dies-down.
In theory it should work but will be fun finding out just how hard it is.

More
26 Apr 2011 10:17 #9323 by andypugh
Sounds interesting. Though the Renishaw-style contact probes are very light contact, and very accurate (it's quite a clever design)

More
26 Apr 2011 16:41 #9340 by BigJohnT
Andy,

Do you have a link that describes the Renishaw-style contact probe? I've seen homemade probes but wonder what the real one uses.

John

More
26 Apr 2011 20:53 - 26 Apr 2011 22:00 #9350 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

Do you have a link that describes the Renishaw-style contact probe? I've seen homemade probes but wonder what the real one uses.

The real one uses pretty much the same thing:

www.wikipatents.com/US-Patent-5146691/touch-probe/Page-1
Last edit: 26 Apr 2011 22:00 by BigJohnT.

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds