Does disabling services in linux help with latency

More
16 Apr 2009 10:44 #110 by luminize
Hi guys,

In addition to my post on chosing hardware i have a question about configuring linux for using it on an old PC, My P3 seems to run linux OK, After switching of the power management in the bios and the services bluetooth,klogd,sysklogd,acpid,apmd,cupsys,apport,anacron and cron in linux (i have searched the internet for the use of these services, and i figured i didn't need them) i have a slight improvement in latency (but i don't come inder the 60000). I know windows has an awful lot of unneeded services witch run at startup (i'm pretty familiair with windows), Any experience with other services that slow down the system that can be disabled without problems?

Regards, Bas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2009 13:35 #111 by BigJohnT
I can't answer your question directly but this page has lots of info and links on latency and smi issues.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Latency-Test

John

More
16 Apr 2009 18:42 #112 by alex_joni
Since RTAI runs before linux does, stopping services won't make much of a difference for the latency (unless you find one of the latency causes that is triggered by a certain service: e.g. networking).
Stopping services will only improve your desktop experience while the CPU is doing lots of RT work.

Regards,
Alex

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds