switch off the computer

More
14 Nov 2009 14:53 #1126 by aike
switch off the computer was created by aike
Hi!
When i finished the work (type 'halt' or 'shutdown -h now' commands) my computer not switching off itself.
The picture with ubuntu freeze. I've read it's according to RTAI ACPI control.
Is it true?
Can computer to switch off itself (not press human POWER buttun)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2009 03:31 #1152 by ldmarsaglia
Hello Aike,

Yes it's true, for improving the real time capability of the system, the ACPI functions for controlling the power are deactivated.

I asked the same some time ago because i wanted to turn off the machine without pressing the button.

I have made a very simple userspace component with the help of the guys here in the emc community, that has one bit in pin, so when this pin is in the true state the halt sequence is called and the machine halts. After this you have to push the physical button to totally power off the machine.

To solve this the best is to use an external electronic circuit to detect when the machine is halted and then cut the power, i think may be detecting the keyboard power off to know when the machine is halted could work.

I'm investigating this because i want to power off the machine in the normal way.

More
02 Dec 2009 04:45 #1229 by hesdeadjim
when i shut down, i get a black and white screen with about a page and a half of lines of text scrolling and then the screen clears and i get a line that says system halted...

i know that the system halts because the acpi is disabled, but are the lines of text normal?

thanks

More
02 Dec 2009 05:58 #1231 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:switch off the computer
yep normal

More
02 Dec 2009 13:45 #1233 by hesdeadjim
thanks much...

:)

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds