Intel D525MW. Need 2nd LPT Port. Mini-PCIe OK?

More
05 Aug 2011 23:58 #12234 by rantonides
I just purchased an Intel D525MW board and need 7 axes of motion. I'm connecting to 2 Geckodrive 540's (4 axes each) which are nice because I can just plug a straight DB25 cable to them and I'm done. So I need 2 LPT ports.

Has anyone successfully used a mini PCIe card with EMC2? Like this:
cgi.ebay.com/NEW-StarTech-com-Mini-PCIe-...&hash=item5d2cc56cc8

I can't use the conventional PCI slot because it doesn't work in my case. Also I don't want to use the Mesa boards, because I want the DB25 connection for the Gecko's.

Cheers,

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2011 16:29 #12243 by PCW
You should be OK with that card as its a true PCIE parallel port card, not a USB one (MiniPCIE has both PCIE and USB interfaces), but you are on the bleeding edge so its a gamble...

Can you fit a low profile PCI card in your case? most PCI parallel port cards are low profile though they are supplied with standard profile brackets.

More
06 Aug 2011 19:15 - 06 Aug 2011 19:17 #12260 by andypugh

Also I don't want to use the Mesa boards, because I want the DB25 connection for the Gecko's.

You could connect DB25 connectors to Mesa card headers, it's only wiring.
The 7i43 gives you a much better solution than twin parports for about the same cost as than MiniPCI card.

I have a D510MO and I am not at all sure that the MiniPCI slot is a true slot, or whether it is really for WiFi cards only.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2011 19:17 by andypugh.

More
07 Aug 2011 00:39 #12270 by rantonides
The mini pcie card is quite expensive and as you mentioned it's a bit of a gamble. I found a flexible pci extender that might make it so I can fit a conventional PCI card in my case. I'm trying to stay away from the custom mesa to DB25 cables because I will be building a large number of these systems and want to eliminate potential assembly mistakes. Thanks for your help. Rob

More
07 Aug 2011 00:54 #12271 by PCW
Theres also the possibility of using the 5I25 (DB25 I/O FPGA card) if you need more performance

More
07 Aug 2011 09:29 #12274 by andypugh
rantonides wrote:

I found a flexible pci extender that might make it so I can fit a conventional PCI card in my case.

The flexible one should be OK, I am using one to connect a 5i23 to my D510MO motherboard. I had no luck with any of the solid over-the-board riser cards I tried, both of them prevented the computer from booting. There is supposedly a working right-angle riser available, but I have not managed to track it down.

I'm trying to stay away from the custom mesa to DB25 cables because I will be building a large number of these systems and want to eliminate potential assembly mistakes.

If the quantities are high enough then you could possibly have some small PCBs made up with box headers on one side, DB25 on the other, and the correct track layout for the pinout you need. It would probably cost about $25 for 10 boards. (that is the price for 10 off 50mm x 100mm boards at Seedstudio, who I have used once with good results)

More
07 Aug 2011 09:39 #12275 by andypugh
PCW wrote:

Theres also the possibility of using the 5I25 (DB25 I/O FPGA card) if you need more performance

That looks pretty neat. Do you also have a pre-built 34-pin header to DB25 adaptor for a second DB25?

For controlling two G540s from EMC2 that looks absolutely ideal.

Here is a link to the page:
www.mesanet.com/fpgacardinfo.html

More
07 Aug 2011 14:28 #12278 by PCW
The production 5I25s will have 26 pin headers for the second port, the proto in the photo
just happens to have a 34 pin header (which is an assembly option, if you want all 40 available I/O pins) We will have flat cable/brackets available for the second port..

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds