Three computers running EMC2 on Ubuntu, what to do

More
07 Dec 2009 02:37 #1265 by Neato3000
So I've successfully brought up three different computers to run Ubuntu 8.04 with EMC2 running better than expected. Dell Dimension 4800 (2.1 Ghz, 256M Ram, Ati Radeon 9000), Hewlitt Packard Pavilion XE743 (600Mhz, 128M ram, Onboard video) and an Asrock K7VM4 motherboard W/ AMD 1900XP 1.6Ghz, 128M Ram, and an unkown Nvidia card. So now I'm curious as to what kind of things I could do with these three computers. Any ideas?

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2009 04:49 #1287 by Kirk_Wallace
It depends on, what your goals are, what your budget is and what you have on hand.

Learning to write g-code files can keep you busy for a while. I check my g-code on my office PC, using a parallel port stepper configuration which doesn't need any hardware connected in order to run. There is a simulator version of EMC2, but I know nothing more about it.

I have learned a fair amount by using a breadboard, buffer chips, LEDs and wire to learn how to use HAL to connect various hardware, such as scrounged motors and sensors from old printers and floppy drives.
--
Kirk Wallace
www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/
www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html
California, USA

More
11 Dec 2009 03:02 #1300 by Neato3000
Ha ha yeah on hand stuff. I found a scanner that I reworked and turned (partly) into a cnc machine (neato3000 on youtube). After the holidays I'm thinkin I can get that finished. EMC makes setting up the controllers and machine rather simple. And I've just been translating vectors to g-code with downloaded python scripts. No real need for writing g-code for what I'm thinkin this machine should do. I dunno, I was just curious about three computers running one "robot", but then again, three parallel ports on one pc would probably do the same as what I'm thinking anyway. I would have to have a necessity for that kind of thing before I would really check into it though. Till then I'll just tinker with my scanner conversion :D

Chris

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds