How to track down latency issues?

More
22 Sep 2011 07:43 #13350 by fma
Hi,

I recently bought a IBM M51 small factor computer, and it appears to have latency issues.

In fact, the average latency is not bad (15-20µs), but I get some pikes at 300µs.

These pikes occures every 32-33s. So far, I didn't find what is the problem. I tried to switch off components from BIOS, tried to use a PCI video card (there is no option in the BIOS to disable the internal one, but it seems to automatically switch to the external one), use vesa driver... No change.

So, I'm wondering what can I do to track down that problem? Are there some tools to record all interrupts, and see the one leading to a freeze for unusual delay?

BTW, does such latency issue matter if using an external step/dir/pwm generator, like a MESA board? Does it matter which one I use (PCI/parport)?

Thanks for you help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2011 11:43 #13353 by Rick G

More
22 Sep 2011 11:44 - 22 Sep 2011 11:52 #13354 by fma
Ok, I found something interesting.

I played arround with the SMI bits, to mask some SMI features. And it appears that if I mask the PERIODIC_EN bit, no latency pikes occur anymore.

Digging in the ICH6 datasheet (786 pages which are total chineese for me), I found that this bit enables a periodic interrupt, and the rate of this interrupt can be 1min, 32s, 16s or 8s!!! Obviously, my config is set to interrupts every 32s...

The question, now, is: what happens if I let this bit masked? What is this periodic interrupt for?
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 11:52 by fma.

More
22 Sep 2011 12:51 #13357 by step4linux

More
22 Sep 2011 13:52 - 22 Sep 2011 13:53 #13358 by fma
Thanks for the links.

It seems that the SMI# interrupt is use by the BIOS to do a lot of things. But the BIOS internals are not documented, so it is very hard to know what they do.

I will try to disable that periodic interrupt, and see what are the consequences. My main fear is about thermal management of the processor... Hard to know if the CPU will switch down to avoid burning before it actually burns! I will juste be able to check if the fans are still correctly controlled while CPU usage increases.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 13:53 by fma.

More
22 Sep 2011 15:58 #13362 by step4linux
I have also switched off SMI at an old laptop with latency around 1 msec (before switch off).
I had the same concern as you, but never any serious problem.
And I never saw a report about real issues, although the SMI issue is common as latency killer, and I guess frequently switched off.

Gerd

More
22 Sep 2011 17:25 #13364 by fma
Ok, that's good news!

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds