Non-Standard Paralel Port?

More
28 Sep 2011 16:15 #13512 by Todd Zuercher
We have some existing old hardware that is using some odd setup for paralel port pinouts. I am wondering if it would be possible for me to set these up to plug and play with emc2? The drives are 4 axis and use 2 paralel ports, one port-two axis. The step and direction pins are not to much trouble they are on pins 2&3 (1st axis) and 6&7(2nd axis). The problem is the limit switches are on pins 1&14 (hi&low 1st axis) and 16&17 (hi&low 2st axis).

Is there any way to use these pins as inputs with emc2, or am I going to have to make my own cables to cross them over to some other pins (like 10-13)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2011 16:52 #13516 by BigJohnT
The parallel port pins 1 and 14 are both outputs even if you set the parallel port as an input.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_parall...g:Parport-block-diag

John

More
28 Sep 2011 18:19 #13519 by Todd Zuercher
I know, hence my problem. The original Dos software running on these machines now, is using the 4 pins that EMC can only use as outputs as inputs.

More
28 Sep 2011 20:10 #13526 by BigJohnT
I don't think it is an EMC thing but I might be full of it and not know it...

John

More
30 Sep 2011 10:43 #13548 by andypugh
It is possible to read data into the contol port by setting the right output pattern, and reading back the values:
www.beyondlogic.org/spp/parallel.htm Control Port section.

It might be possible to modify the parport driver to read the state of the control port, but to be honest it is probably easier to make new cables.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds