Computer cases with space for EMC2 cards

More
19 Dec 2011 15:19 #15838 by sgs
Hello,

I'm looking for a case where all used Motion control / Daughter cards fit in the case together with the computer itself. (1 case for emc2-hardware cards and computer)

Do you have any tips?

Best Regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2011 17:25 #15844 by andypugh
sgs wrote:

I'm looking for a case where all used Motion control / Daughter cards fit in the case together with the computer itself. (1 case for emc2-hardware cards and computer)
Do you have any tips?

Which cards?

It might be easier to use an industrial cabinet and mount a PC motherboard in there, rather than try to find a PC case to suit.

A mini-ITX and PicoPSU just needs wiring to any 12V supply.

I have tended to make my own, this is a 1U rackmount server PC, then with other cards in other bays:
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tpgXEB-7Ja...pFm0?feat=directlink
This is a touchscreen-based system
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/N7Z88ai8cR...pFm0?feat=directlink
where the cards are mounted on a hinged-out back panel
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/52JQ9lYC3_...pFm0?feat=directlink
(it's not finished)

More
19 Dec 2011 19:06 #15852 by Rick G
Everything can fit in a full size tower case. I used a Dell 9100 for the 5i20 plus daughter cards.

Rick G

More
20 Dec 2011 10:07 - 20 Dec 2011 10:11 #15892 by sgs

andypugh wrote:
Which cards?

These cards for example: 5I23 (or 5I22) + 7I30 + 7I37TA (I hope these can work together)

It may also be the other way round .. so an Industrial cabinet where these components fit in, and the PC motherboard can be mounted there as well.

Anyone has an idea where to get what suits my needs without having to do too much modification to the case / cabinet?

It also seems that most people use Intel ATOM CPUs with mini-ITX Motherboards, so I can assume that for example:
- Intel NM10 with Intel Atom D525
or
- Intel D2700DC with Intel Atom D2700

is OK for use? Although they use onboard-Graphics, which is actually not recommended in the EMC2 wiki

Best Regards.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2011 10:11 by sgs.

More
20 Dec 2011 10:47 #15893 by andypugh
sgs wrote:

These cards for example: 5I23 (or 5I22) + 7I30 + 7I37TA (I hope these can work together)

OK, the reason I asked is that there are also low-profile PCI cards (Mesa 5i25) and the Pico PPMC system (which uses the parallel port as the data bus, so can be fitted anywhere at any orientation). Then there are other cards from Motenc, Pluto, Servo-to-go...
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware

Anyone has an idea where to get what suits my needs without having to do too much modification to the case / cabinet?

Salvage yards and eBay are popular. Or the original cases in many retrofits. Your local industrial electrics wholesaler can sell you an equipment case, but they tend to be quite expensive.
uk.mouser.com/Enclosures/Enclosures-Boxes-Cases/

>

It also seems that most people use Intel ATOM CPUs with mini-ITX Motherboards, so I can assume that for example:
- Intel NM10 with Intel Atom D525
or
- Intel D2700DC with Intel Atom D2700
is OK for use? Although they use onboard-Graphics, which is actually not recommended in the EMC2 wiki

Yes, specifically the Intel BOXD525MW is known to work particularly well, and is very cheap.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442

The only reason I can think of to not use that specific motherboard is if you know you need more than one parport.

More
20 Dec 2011 11:11 #15894 by sgs
Thanks for your response.

Is it also possible to mount the MESA cards in a normal 19-inch Rackmount Chassis ?
I think a 1U (maybe even 0,5U) or a 2U should leave plenty of space when using only a mini-ITX board in it.
For example something like this: www.idotpc.com/TheStore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=148

Mesa unfortunately doesn't supply any information how to mount their hardware anywhere, you can just see the mounting holes on the pictures (but not dimensions)

It seems that there is not really hardware available that allows mounting all the hardware without having to modify the case / chassis manually?

Best regards.

More
20 Dec 2011 13:06 #15897 by andypugh
sgs wrote:

Is it also possible to mount the MESA cards in a normal 19-inch Rackmount Chassis ?

It would be. Mine are just mounted on standoffs. I have all my drives and PSUs in a 2U rack module on one machine.

Think about where the PSU and drives will go,

Also, you will need a lot of wires and connectors. Think about how you get those in and out of the case.

I suspect that most of us have never considered modding a case to be a problem, we are making CNC machines after all :-)

More
21 Dec 2011 09:30 #15920 by sgs
I now got rid of my requirement to integrate all daughter / motion cards into the case.

But the 5I2x PCI-card should off course fit into the case - and this seems not so easy with a small case

- Mini-ITX Case or the minimum case size needed with full profile PCI-slot (via Riser card would be ok, too, if the case supports it)
- Get the ribbon cable(s) in and out of the case without having to damage it.
- Preferably sold as a full system with Intel D525MW + Ram + HDD
- in Europe

Especially the full profile PCI height is difficult.
Most cases don't specify whether they allow use of a Riser card if they have only a low profile slot.

If mini-ITX is too small anyway, maybe I should better go for a microATX case or Cube like system - but no one sells these as a full system, you would have to build it yourselves.

Has anyone a recommendation to fit my needs?

More
21 Dec 2011 10:46 #15921 by andypugh
sgs wrote:

But the 5I2x PCI-card should off course fit into the case - and this seems not so easy with a small case

It is a low-profile card, though whether it is low-profile enough I am not sure.

- Preferably sold as a full system with Intel D525MW + Ram + HDD
- in Europe

Where in Europe? I think I got my D510MO from Amazon.
I don't think you necessarily want a pre-built system. This was my spec,

Mini-ITX motherboard
linitx.com/product/13168
PicoPSU
linitx.com/product/12064
8GB SATA-pluggable SSD.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Black-Two-ch...TA-SSD-/320760463565

Then it sits in the same box as all the other components, running off the same 12V PSU.
You possibly need to stop thinking of it as a PC, the it's just another component of your system, and one of the cheaper ones..

Most cases don't specify whether they allow use of a Riser card if they have only a low profile slot.

I havn't managed to find a right-angle riser that worked with my motherboard. However I have seen small cases with the Atom motherboard that come with the riser installed.

More
21 Dec 2011 11:04 - 21 Dec 2011 11:25 #15923 by sgs
In Germany, but most EU would be okay, too.
IMO only 5I25 is low profile, at least this card is advertised as low profile, while the others are not on mesanet.com.

Ok, it seems that it's better to buy all single parts instead of prebuilt.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2011 11:25 by sgs.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds