EMC2 and WAGO I/O IPC

More
05 Jan 2012 20:42 #16355 by line
EMC2 and WAGO I/O IPC was created by line
Hi There
Have anyone tried installing EMC2 in a WAGO I/O IPC?

Best regard
Håvard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2012 08:28 - 07 Jan 2012 18:14 #16371 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:EMC2 and WAGO I/O IPC
To save everyone having to search for it, this is what is being discussed.

www.prosoft.ru/cms/f/436920.pdf

Synopsis

The 758-875 Wago-I/O-IPC-C10E

Category: Data Acquisition

Product Type:

Manufacturer: Wago
The 758-875 Wago-I/O-IPC-C10E features Linux 2.6 and a 1-GHz Celeron M processor. It has 256 MB of RAM and 512 MB of Flash, and data can be stored on the IPC’s CF Card. Its ports include an RS-232, two USB, compact Flash and two independent Ethernet. Combined with CANopen and ProfibusDP fieldbuses in the master version, it can serve as a main PLC in industrial environments.

It apparently runs embedded RT Linux and the only on board data storage is CF card.

Seems like a very superior PLC but given the price of mini ITX boards and SSDs can't see anyone taking the time and effort that would be required to try.

I will try to find a firmware update that can be downloaded and see if it is just a tar.gz of the filesystem, like quite a few of the mini servers and android phones. That might tell us a lot more about it.

regards

PS
Unable to find any web based upgrade downloads etc.
Obviously proprietary system, albeit built on OS code, and no doubt limited to bona fide customers.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2012 18:14 by ArcEye.

More
06 Jan 2012 22:56 #16387 by line
Replied by line on topic Re:EMC2 and WAGO I/O IPC
Thanks ArcEye
We actually tried a "Wago-I/O-IPC-C10E" today. The "10.04 Lucid Lynx" stopped while booting.

Regards

More
07 Jan 2012 08:15 #16400 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:EMC2 and WAGO I/O IPC
Hi

Yes, I can't imagine Ubuntu booting on this.

The little NAS I have has an embedded linux system, which upon investigation turned out to be Debian Lenny in a very cut down version.
As soon as I had established that, I was able to modify the base system to do all sorts of cool stuff that was not originally intended.

This device appears to allow access to the system via a bash terminal and uses grub to boot on a x86 based processor rather than the usual ARM one in such devices.
So in theory it should be possible to build a suitable rtai kernel, realtime system and emc2 that would run on it.

The problem as I said, is that an old P4 computer or a Intel525 MB costs far less and works well 'out of the box'.

If you decide to investigate and experiment further, keep us updated.

Whatever, it looks like a very capable and flexible PLC.

regards

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds