ASUS M2A74-AM Latency Times

More
03 Feb 2012 02:13 #17353 by NICKKINSMAN
I am getting high latency times (2 to 3million micro seconds) whenever the Asus machine hits the hard drive (HDD). Thought it was the HDD, but swapped out to a Dell GX280 machine and latency was fine (so guess that's not it!) Swapped the dell's original drive and still get the latency.

It comes up whenever you open a file folder, run a program, etc. If I just move windows around or don't do much of anythign, the latency stays low. I've reviewed the latency recommendations posted, but don't see any obvious settings which would affect this.

I am running servo system, and it seems to run CNC, just with the RTAI warning on startup (becuase it hits the hard drive!) Never see it otherwise.

Wanted to see if anyone else has seen this problem and there were any obvoius fixes or setting which would get it reasonable.

I think it does have a dual core, so was going to try the dual core setting thing to isolate for RTAI, but not sure that seems like the solution.

Thanks!
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2012 09:06 #17357 by ArcEye
Hi

You don't say what type of HDD this is, so am guessing SATA

I normally rate ASUS very highly, but there are quite a few references to problems with this board's SATA.

It appears that ASUS have recognised a problem, because they have issued this FAQ.

support.asus.com/FAQ/detail.aspx?SLangua...1B-ADF3-6F203E22108E

The symptoms listed in the 'Question' mirror those found on other forums etc. and include
"Operating system may hang while large disk access operations are under progress" which gets pretty close to your problem.

Hope something in there helps

I think we have had a report of HDD accesses causing problems, but that was IDE and I think eventually put down to a duff chip as could not be replicated off the MB

regards

More
03 Feb 2012 11:32 #17358 by Rick G

just with the RTAI warning on startup (becuase it hits the hard drive!) Never see it otherwise.

Depending on the warning you are speaking of it may only appear one time per session regardless of how many times it occurs.

Rick G

More
03 Feb 2012 18:53 #17365 by NICKKINSMAN
Replied by NICKKINSMAN on topic HDD type
I do have a SATA drive, should have mentioned it. I will check that out and see if anything can work.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds