Nvidia driver question?

More
24 Feb 2010 14:50 - 24 Feb 2010 14:51 #2044 by Davenc
On the latest Live-CD compile are the Nvidia drivers already in the build or do they have to be added? I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu. I'm planning on adding a video card tonight since my MB has one build in with the system RAM and just wanted to know what to expect as far as installation goes. I've read most of the tutorials but nothing pertaining to the Live-CD compile and Nvidia drivers.

Thanks
Last edit: 24 Feb 2010 14:51 by Davenc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2010 16:50 #2046 by acemi
Replied by acemi on topic Re:Nvidia driver question?
There is an open source Nvidia driver (named as "nv") which is packaged with Xorg. No need to the closed source proprietary Nvidia driver.
Therefore don't worry about it

More
24 Feb 2010 22:56 #2049 by Davenc
Replied by Davenc on topic Re:Nvidia driver question?
Thanks, unfortunately I believe I got the wrong video card that isn't supported. The card is supported but not in a regular PCI slot. I didn't see the fine print about not supporting regular PCI grahic cards. The card works but provides only 800 by 600 resolution and it doesn't show up in the hardware mode. I should have gotten the PCIe version of the card so it looks like another search on newegg for a low profile video card.

More
25 Feb 2010 08:10 #2054 by acemi
Replied by acemi on topic Re:Nvidia driver question?
X (Desktop) configuration can be changed from /etc/X/xorg.conf file.
X log can be viewed from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

You can edit the /etc/X/xorg.conf file to solve the resolution problem.
Add the frequency info for your monitor in "Monitor" section. For example:
HorizSync 30-70
VertRefresh 56-80

And the resolution info in "Screen" section:
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600"
EndSubSection

More
03 Mar 2010 23:17 - 03 Mar 2010 23:34 #2173 by Davenc
I installed a Geforce 8400 gs along with this driver using the package manager. It appears to be an Xorg free dirver.

NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver
These XFree86 4.x/X.Org binary drivers provide optimized hardware acceleration
of OpenGL applications via a direct-rendering X Server and supports the newer
GeForce, nForce and Quadro families of NVIDIA chipsets. AGP, TV-out and
flat panel displays are also supported.

I read on one of the information pages about latency problems using the close sourced NVIDIA driver. I'm assuming this driver is not going to have the same issues? Note that I do get the NVIDIA screen at boot up using this driver so I really don't see the difference in using this driver vs the one downloaded from the NVIDIA sight. The release version for the driver is.173.14.12.

It does appear that I'm getting some pretty bad latency when open some of the built in graphic applications like F-Spot photo manager so I'm wondering if I should even use this driver or just modify the xorg as suggested. I could not find just an NV driver when looking through the different option available in the package manager. Was I even supposed to look there at all?

Thanks
Last edit: 03 Mar 2010 23:34 by Davenc.

More
06 Mar 2010 01:18 #2205 by Davenc
I figured it out. Had to uninstall the NVIDIA driver completely and then reboot where a the generic NV stuff came up. I then made some changes to the Xorg.conf to match the monitor and all is well. This stuff sure is touchy.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds