Fantastic latency on Live CD, horrible on HDD

More
14 Jun 2012 18:32 #20929 by BigJohnT
taiden wrote:

I've been totally unable to run latency testing while LinuxCNC is open, so while I can run tklinux I can't see my latency numbers to see what that does.

All the best,
Luke

You can't run the latency test when LinuxCNC is running. Only one at a time can be run.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2012 20:39 #20933 by lukepighetti
I have another issue.

First off, I have to use vesa otherwise latency is too high. No problem, moving around the 3d plot in LinuxCNC is quite fast regardless. The issue is that my resolution is stuck at 800x600, while my monitor is capable of 1024x768.

It also seems that LinuxCNC doesn't fit in the 800x600 resolution very well.

Just wondering if anyone has any links to tutorials to configure vesa to run the higher resolution.

I found some tutorials online but none of them worked for me.

This looks to be the final piece of the puzzle

Thanks all,
Luke

More
14 Jun 2012 22:26 #20938 by BigJohnT
Have you tried the normal video driver since you moved the IDE connectors around?

John

More
14 Jun 2012 22:57 - 14 Jun 2012 22:57 #20939 by lukepighetti
both nv and whatever the default driver is produces a 48k/53k latency just tested five minutes ago

closed source nvidia drivers product +10ms latencies
Last edit: 14 Jun 2012 22:57 by lukepighetti.

More
14 Jun 2012 23:20 #20942 by lukepighetti
added these lines to xorg.conf to set my horizontal and vertical sync range and it automatically rebooted into 1024x768. Latency still in the 7k/7k range. Awesome. Looks like we're good to go lads.

under "Section Monitor"
HorizSync               30-60
VertRefresh             60-75
"EndSection"

More
15 Jun 2012 09:31 #20949 by ArcEye
taiden wrote:

ArcEye,

It appears that you have done it!
All situations that would cause the latency to jump are now gone.
The solution (for the time being) was to make the HDD the only IDE peripheral attached to the computer set to master on primary channel.

Glad you got that and your video setting sorted.

HDD jumpered to master on the last port on the cable hooked up to the primary IDE channel

I suspect that you had the HDD attached to the wrong ribbon connector plug.
I have come across similar before where devices were jumpered correctly but on the wrong plug.
If you had selected 'cable-select' jumper it probably would not have worked at all.

Whatever it is working now

regards

More
15 Jun 2012 10:29 - 15 Jun 2012 10:32 #20952 by BigJohnT
I'm glad you got that sorted out.

The information on the vesa and monitor resolution needs to be somewhere where we can find it again but I'm not sure where to put it... perhaps an entry on the wiki or a post to a FAQ-Monitors and Video Cards.

Where is the xorg.conf file located?

John
Last edit: 15 Jun 2012 10:32 by BigJohnT.

More
15 Jun 2012 13:09 #20956 by ArcEye
Hi John

Where is the xorg.conf file located?

That is why it is not that simple.

taiden is running 8.04 so will have an xorg.conf file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf

However Ubuntu stopped using an explicit xorg.conf file in 10.04 and whilst the system will read it, if present, you have to create it from scratch or use xorg-configure, X -configure or dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg or whatever.

I'm going out right now, give me a bit of time to think about best way to get it over and I'll come back to you on email

regards

More
15 Jun 2012 13:13 #20957 by BigJohnT
Thanks, maybe if you figure it out add a FAQ in here.

John

More
15 Jun 2012 13:26 #20958 by lukepighetti
You could just add an errata for 8.04 users. Would have helped me a lot. vesa works WORLDS better than any other driver I've tried with my AGP geforce 4 ti 4600, and the toolpath wireframe in LinuxCNC is incredibly fast even with this driver. All windows are snappy in regular use so I feel no need to use a faster driver.

Who knows regarding the IDE cable placement. I followed all conventions but still ran into this issue. I'm going to toy with it later to see if I can get the CDROM and harddrive working without reducing latency.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds