GIGABYTE GA-D525TUD Intel Atom D525

More
04 Sep 2012 10:50 #23879 by BigJohnT
PCW wrote:

The ASUS E35M1-M was significantly better with 21000, 26000 (servo/base) thread max jitters so seems like a fairly nice fanless LinuxCNC system

I just checked NewEgg and wouldn't you know it this board is out of stock. Also it had quite a few DOA reviews... which don't matter if you can't buy one.

How did you test the latency with your scope?

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2012 14:03 - 04 Sep 2012 14:08 #23881 by PCW
Yes it was just replaced by the E45M1-M which looks identical except for a
chipset upgrade (e450 instead of e350 APU) so its a tiny bit faster.

I checked the latency with a scope by toggling an I/O bit in the servo thread

(I originally did this to see why, even though they often show good latency test results,
the Atom motheboards wont run a servo thread above about 1.5 KHz without error)
Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 14:08 by PCW.

More
05 Sep 2012 00:01 #23896 by PCW
As an addenda the E35M1-M cheerfully runs a servo loop at 2KHz and will run at 4KHz but has real time errors at startup (but never again)

More
05 Sep 2012 07:35 #23905 by dab77
I've always wanted to know.. can one live with the initial realtime error, if then it doesn't appear anymore during use?

More
05 Sep 2012 11:36 #23908 by ArcEye
Hi

You mustn't confuse notifications with occurrences.

Linuxcnc only produces one realtime error warning at the first instance, no matter how many further instances there are.
If you get one straight away after starting axis, it generally means you have a serious enough problem for it not to run properly.

regards

More
05 Sep 2012 11:48 #23910 by BigJohnT
dab77 wrote:

I've always wanted to know.. can one live with the initial realtime error, if then it doesn't appear anymore during use?

If you read the real time error carefully it will tell you that you only get one. Imagine if you have a real time latency every 100mS that was bad enough to throw an error and got an error screen for each one... I think that Axis should not even run after a real time error... or even better each time you acknowledge the error another one pops up.

John

More
05 Sep 2012 15:45 #23925 by PCW
The error is definitely just a startup error, and is visible on a scope as such.
It causes other problems that happen only at startup as well

More
05 Sep 2012 16:45 #23932 by ArcEye
Thats interesting, any time I have had a realtime error immediately at startup, either the base thread has been set too fast or the machine is useless.
Quite a few of the latter!

More
05 Sep 2012 17:04 #23936 by PCW
I have no base thread and am trying to find out why there are startup delays that are never repeated. Next step is to instrument the real time performance with a hardware stepgen set to 10 MHz

More
06 Sep 2012 11:41 #23967 by Rick G
Well I do have a Dell that will spike one time in the first 3 minutes. After that it is fine in use for hours and testing overnight.

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds