Intel D425KT Mini ITX?

More
05 Sep 2012 22:54 #23949 by spangledboy
Has anyone tried one of these motherboards with the LinuxCNC latency test?

It seems fairly close to the D525MW, but has only a single core - and more importantly I can get one for "free" with points built up on my credit card....

Processor comparison:

ark.intel.com/compare/49490,49489

Motherboard specification:

www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherbo...op-board-d425kt.html

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2012 11:40 #24301 by spangledboy
I decided to go ahead and get the Intel D425 board - it almost cost me nothing anyway as I bought it using points from my credit card on Play.com.

Anyway, I put in 2GB RAM, disabled hyperthreading and the onboard audio and ran it using the liveCD booted from a USB memory stick. I started up 4 glxgears windows, ran firefox and ran the latency test, leaving the whole lot going for about 10 hours overnight.

The result was 14915ns for the servo thread and 20283ns for the base thread.

I'm pretty pleased with the result - the other apps seriously loaded the single CPU, so everything ran painfully slowly, but the latency test didn't seem to be affected much. I'm sure that the dual core D525 would be nicer from a user experience as the other tasks would run on a separate core, but for a single use device it looks reasonable.

I did have trouble getting Ubuntu 8.04 to run from the liveCD - there was an unexpected error during startup which I may or may not put the effort in to troubleshoot so I can get some comparative results.

More
16 Sep 2012 12:02 #24303 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Intel D425KT Mini ITX?
If it is newer hardware you might try the 10.04 LiveCD.

John

More
16 Sep 2012 14:17 #24306 by spangledboy
I was using the 10.04 liveCD - I wanted to try 8.04 for the comparison.

Interestingly, when I try running LinuxCNC as installed from the liveCD on a VM in VMware Player, I get much better latency results with a single virtual CPU and 8.04 than I do with 2 virtual CPUs and 10.04.

More
16 Sep 2012 15:43 #24309 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Intel D425KT Mini ITX?

Interestingly, when I try running LinuxCNC as installed from the liveCD on a VM in VMware Player, I get much better latency results with a single virtual CPU and 8.04 than I do with 2 virtual CPUs and 10.04.

See the FAQs on latency on this section of the forum, that mirrors the situation in a real machine.

Unfortunately 8.04 will not work with some newer hardware, its all down to what the kernel the rtai version is based upon supports.
Otherwise it would be a better choice for a single CPU board and probably give much better figures.

regards

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds