power loss issues / not shutting down properly

More
28 Oct 2012 22:20 #25945 by jd896
hi im sorting out the hardware for my next project up too now ive 2gb ram an intel D525MW and 32gb ssd

the question is i was thinking of using a pico psu and powering the pc off the 12 volt bus in the machine cab i was just thinking about the end of shift in our shop and how the main distribution panels get shut off practically as the bell goes off

my worry is the good possibility of the pc getting power taken away without the pc being shut down properly

i was ether going to put the 12 volt psu on a ups and shut down that way or have a 12 volt battery in the cab and get an automotive pico psu and have the ignition feed taken off the machine 12 volt feed (no power pc on batt and should shut down auto)

the other advantage to the automotive psu it that i would only have too have 24 volt inside the cab instead of both 24 and 12 (i already have plenty of 24 volt relays and such)

or am i over thinking the whole issue maybe but i cannot see my lads in the shop remembering to shut down the control before power off

thanks john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2012 06:50 #25970 by andypugh

i cannot see my lads in the shop remembering to shut down the control before power off

After you have fired a few, the remainder will learn.
Surely they are used to the idea that you don't just pull the plug on a computer?

If they are _that_ punctual, perhaps a cron job to shut down the machine 5 minutes beforehand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds