New pc for LinuxCNC

More
01 Nov 2012 13:32 #26175 by paulstenlund
I need to repace the old Dell Optiplex. I need some recomendations on a new relatively inexpensive pc that will run 10.4 and LinuxCNC well

Thanks in advance
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2012 16:56 #26177 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic New pc for LinuxCNC
Hi

The best general reviews on the forum for new motherboards have been for the Intel D525MW mini ITX.

It has a parallel port, 1.66 - 1.8Ghz processor fitted, onboard video and needs only 12v supply and no fan.
Fit a small SSD or DOM, 2GB of memory and it returns +/- 10K latency, which is as good as you will get with 10.04 on practically anything

Make sure you get the Intel board, I wouldn't touch Gigabyte after some bad experiences in the past and the Asus board is different.

They are supposedly difficult to get hold of now, but a quick google found lots over here, average price £60

For slightly more you can get one with a case complete with card reader, PSU etc, just requiring RAM and SSD to be fitted
www.dabs.com/search?q=intel%20D525

Just check the spec against the bare board to ensure the graphics chip etc has not been changed, or if it has, that it works well with Linux.
Intel have a nasty habit of upgrading perfectly good stuff to things with no open source drivers.

regards

More
01 Nov 2012 23:32 #26188 by paulstenlund
Replied by paulstenlund on topic New pc for LinuxCNC
I have found a d525mwve complete for under $500, comes tested and loaded with 10.4. I think it would work. No cd I would have to install Linux CNC from some where is that possible?

Paul

More
01 Nov 2012 23:57 #26189 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic New pc for LinuxCNC

I have found a d525mwve complete for under $500,

That seems expensive.

comes tested and loaded with 10.4. I think it would work. No cd I would have to install Linux CNC from some where is that possible?

Yes. As you are starting from a woking 10.04 installation you can either:
a) Create a bootable USB stick using the "Startup Disc Creator" in the Admin(?) Menu, using the LinuxCNC ISO as a source file
b) Install using the install script: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Instal...mpiled_EMC2_packages

More
02 Nov 2012 00:27 #26191 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic New pc for LinuxCNC

I have found a d525mwve complete for under $500,

That seems expensive.

I agree, sounds very expensive, especially as prices always seem far lower in the US than the UK.

I built one with special ITX case, PSU, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD and slimline DVD writer for about £240 (approx $388)
The ones in the link I gave were £129 requiring drive and RAM so would come out about the same.

This one in the US is $199 with case and Pico PSU and includes 1GB RAM so just needs a small SSD or DOM
www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EKIAD525M350

regards

More
05 Nov 2012 10:21 #26263 by paulstenlund
Replied by paulstenlund on topic New pc for LinuxCNC
Great tip Andy thanks a million, I bought one,w/ more memory , big HD and WIFI. I would guess you loaded LinuxCNC from an external cd or flash drive?

Thanks again

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds