full frame modern computer for LinuxCNC

More
12 Jun 2013 08:37 #35558 by xolotl4
Hi, can some body point me to a modern (2013) and in production computer (lets said dell, hp, lenovo, etc.) that runs Linuxcnc right out of the box, and had at leas 2 PCI ports? i will use mesa cards so parport is not a concern.

I would like to buy the computer directly from manufacturers page, if not modifications to the bios are required to fix latency i will be very happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2013 15:50 #35562 by ArcEye
Hi

Will probably assist to know what exactly you are going to run.

Will you have a base thread or just a servo thread?

Unfortunately 'modern' and 'runs Linuxcnc right out of the box' do not really go together.

The most RAM a 32bit app like Linuxcnc can use is 3.25GB and if you install Linuxcnc with more than 2GB the dumb installer may well try to give you a pae kernel instead of rtai.
So large RAM is no use.

Some of the Sandy Ridge chipsets have unresolved issues with rtai kernels and will not run them at all.

Any 2013 computer from big firms, is liable to have Windoze Hate bundled with it, with UEFI 'secure boot enabled'.
You will be unable to install any other operating system unless you wipe the entire disc and turn off secure boot in BIOS or jump through loads of hoops
trying to use the Ubuntu clone keys.

The newer the computer the more likely the sound, ethernet, video etc will not work with the current 2.6.32-122-rtai kernel.
The video may well be a closed source driver only which you are unable to run other than in low resolution vesa mode.

No matter how many cores it has, it will not run Linuxcnc better, in fact the opposite.
The best results on multi-cored machines have consistently been from shutting down all but one core.

So, a brand new, branded mini tower core i7 PC with a warranty, may be what your procurement department is happiest with, but is far from certain to be best option for linuxcnc.

Some food for thought

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: xolotl4

More
13 Jun 2013 20:12 #35585 by andypugh

The best results on multi-cored machines have consistently been from shutting down all but one core.

This might be true as far as absolute best-case latency numbers are concerned, but as long as the latency is "good enough" then multi-core CPUs can give a better overall experience. (GUI responsiveness, for example). Coralling the realtime stuff into one core can help here too. (isolcpus)

Obsessing over latency test stats can lead to focussing on the wrong things, I feel. With Mesa cards you can be perfectly happy at 50uS latency.

However, having said that, I can't help with the question. I view the PC motherboard as just one more card to mount in the case (and typically it is one of the cheapest ones too)
The following user(s) said Thank You: xolotl4

More
13 Jun 2013 22:19 #35589 by xolotl4
In that case i have the option of ensemble my on computer, i was looking at local providers (Monterrey Mexico), and the Intel Atom board i was using in the past is not longer available. After some read id seems to my that the new intel chipsets are not capable of good latency numbers (do im wrong?), So the new question : is it a better idea to go with an AMD-ATHLON combination if i don't have the opportunity to test the Hardware until buying it?

More
13 Jun 2013 22:25 - 13 Jun 2013 22:27 #35590 by ArcEye

I view the PC motherboard as just one more card to mount in the case (and typically it is one of the cheapest ones too)

If you take Andys' point regards just mounting a MB in the controller case, where there is plenty of room for expansion, the best board recently has been the Intel Atom D525 if you can still find one.
Cheap, low latency and an onboard video chipset that works with standard Intel drivers.

EDIT: see we have cross posted

The Intel D2700 and D2800 seem to be OK, but the video driver is closed source windoze only, so you won't be able to use high screen resolutions
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 22:27 by ArcEye.

More
13 Jun 2013 22:34 #35592 by xolotl4
That board (Atom D525) is the one i was using in some retrofits two years ago, but now is very hard to get in Mexico. And another problem is that new motherboards lack of PCI port. I can get a mother board with Atom D2500, does it works?

More
13 Jun 2013 22:35 #35593 by ArcEye
I don't know what the difficulties of getting things in from the US are, but Amazon have 20 of the same D525 boards I have left
www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Core-Mini-ITX-...D525MW/dp/B0041RSC94

newegg etc seem to be sold out

More
13 Jun 2013 22:37 - 13 Jun 2013 22:43 #35594 by ArcEye

I can get a mother board with Atom D2500, does it works?

I'll have to throw that open to the floor, I know Andy has used D2700 / D2800, don't know if he or PCW tried the D2500

EDIT:
The only thing I can add is that it uses the GMA 3600 video chipset which caused all the problems
There appears to be some sort of release by Intel for Linux and may be that some people have taken it further, don't know if stable or successful
you will have to dig in the Ubuntu forums re the same

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144445
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 22:43 by ArcEye.

More
13 Jun 2013 23:42 - 13 Jun 2013 23:43 #35597 by andypugh

I'll have to throw that open to the floor, I know Andy has used D2700 / D2800

I use a D2800 as a development machine. It runs LinuxCNC well, but others have reported problems with the graphics chip and Linux. I run it headless normally, or plug it in to the VGA port of my TV, and it works fine for me at 1024x768. It has the advantage of running from 12V power, and the disadvantage of only having PCI-E so only work with the Mesa 6i25.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 23:43 by andypugh.

More
14 Jun 2013 15:25 - 14 Jun 2013 21:03 #35615 by ArcEye
Just an update to the GMA 360(0) video issue

Looks like starting at Ubuntu 12.04 there is a driver, at least for 2D graphics now in repositories

edzeame.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/ubuntu-...for-intel-cedarview/
Last edit: 14 Jun 2013 21:03 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds