Newbie - wifi card doesn't work

More
10 Jul 2013 05:10 #36470 by codrutoctavian
Hi,

I am new and I am not sure this is the place to ask. I have an Intel D525MW motherboard on which I have installed Linux CNC Sherline version 6.0. Kernel version is 2.6.32-122 rtai and Ubuntu is 10.04.
I have added an Intel Centrino N 6300 wifi card on which I have connected the antenna to connector #3
The wifi seems okay, I can connect to my wi-fi network and signal is full but I cannot acces any addres, not even 192.168.1.1 which is my wi-fi router address. Anybody can please point me in the right direction in trying to resolve this?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2013 14:47 - 10 Jul 2013 14:48 #36483 by ArcEye
Hi

The wifi seems okay, I can connect to my wi-fi network and signal is full but I cannot acces any addres, not even 192.168.1.1 which is my wi-fi router address

If you cannot access your router, you cannot connect to your wifi network, all you are seeing is that the card is recognised.

This card causes lots of problems, it is a Ubuntu / card issue, I can give you some pointers but after that you will have to research via the Ubuntu forums etc.

First step, I would recommend that you install wicd network manager.
The default gnome network manager is c**p. This will not solve the problem of itself, but should ensure that once you get it working it stays that way.

If you do a lspci -vv from a terminal you should find an entry similar to this
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 [8086:422b] (rev 3e)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 3x3 AGN [8086:1101]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 53
Memory at f0200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
Kernel modules: iwlagn

If your kernel driver is shown as iwlagn, try this

sudo rmmod iwlagn
sudo modprobe iwlagn bt_coex_active=0

The full write up is here, with other parameter options
askubuntu.com/questions/109260/how-do-i-...imate-6300-n-working

and the associated bug report here
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/654152

Note the section which shows how to make any settings change that you find works persistent between boots

If the above does not assist you will have to throw yourself into a full search for any other info, I just quickly scanned.

The other thing to consider is WHY are you using a wifi card?
They are a bit flaky at the best of times and importantly wifi is badly affected by electromagnetic interference and may well not work at all whilst you have any motors running.

For £30 you can buy a pair of homeplug adaptors that carry ethernet over the mains line and just plug your board into a cat 5 cable.
I get full speed internet and ftp transfers in a workshop 200 yds from the house using this.

Just a thought

regards
Last edit: 10 Jul 2013 14:48 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: codrutoctavian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds