Matrox G550 PCI - No output (including BIOS)

More
04 Feb 2014 06:00 - 04 Feb 2014 06:34 #43522 by birchy
I've bought a used Matrox G550 32Mb PCI graphics card off eBay and a LFH60 to VGA adaptor. I've tried it on 3 different PCs but there is no output at all - it doesn't even show the BIOS messages. I have a Radeon PCI card that works in all 3 PCs, in the same PCI slots. If I boot the PC using the Radeon card and leave the Matrox plugged in, "lspci -vv" shows the Matrox card is connected but shows the following twice:
VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd. Millennium G550 (rev ff) (progif ff)
!!! Unknown header type 7f
Kernel modules: matroxfb_base

I'm now a bit lost! I'm assuming the Matrox card is OK because the OS can find it, however I'm wondering if the (new) LFH60 to VGA lead is faulty? My assumption is that I should at the very least see some BIOS output at boot-up, even if the OS doesn't recognise the card or driver? The Matrox site has some downloads, one of which is a Windows-only BIOS update: www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/?id=151. It's not clear what this update actually does...but it seems likely to be related to my issue, however I'd have to install Windows just to perform the update!

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

EDIT:
The LFH60 to VGA adaptor cable has 2 VGA outputs,but I am using a single monitor. I have tried both VGA's but assume that the VGA marked 1/3 should give me a single output? Could this be a monitor compatibility issue? The monitor works fine with all of my graphics cards with standard VGA output...
Last edit: 04 Feb 2014 06:34 by birchy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2014 17:38 #43529 by ArcEye
Hi

The BIOS output is such low level without any additional drivers that it should display whether the card works when you have booted or not

I bought 2 Matrox G550s AGP cards initially and one had no output at all.
Fortunately I tried the other and it worked perfectly, so the first card was U/S
I returned to the vendor and got another working card.

The print you have suggests the board is damaged to my mind at least, the system can recognise the maker and version but cannot read anything else

I would contact the vendor

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: birchy

More
16 Feb 2014 07:20 - 16 Feb 2014 07:21 #43890 by birchy
UPDATE:
The eBay seller has sent me another Matrox card which works fine. Bit of a PITA considering as it was listed as "fully tested and working". Sadly, the Matrox didn't give any improvement over my other graphics cards, so will go into my box of "spare bits". If I add up the cost of all the used PC parts I've bought over the last few months, it would of been cheaper to buy a new PC...
:unsure:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2014 07:21 by birchy.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds