USB versus PS/2 keyboard

More
18 Mar 2014 00:29 #44924 by LAIR82
Are there any preferences in Linuxcnc as to what type of keyboard is connected, USB or PS/2. What I mean is, are there any noticeable operational differences one might encounter using one over the other ie cursor lag, letters not displaying as fast as they are typed, potentially slowing linux down?

As you may be guessing, we have noticed all of these issues randomly on all three of our machines, and we where wondering if this maybe a place to look.

Thanks

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2014 01:50 #44928 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic USB versus PS/2 keyboard
Hi,

There is no preference for Linuxcnc, but some computers seem to exhibit their own preferences.

I try to use PS/2 keyboards where possible if the computer has a PS/2 socket.
Apart from anything else, older BIOS probably won't pick up a USB keyboard.

I personally have had far more trouble with mice than keyboards, some computers I have tried had huge spikes on USB mouse movement, which were not present when the same mouse was plugged into a PS/2 adapter B)

Whatever works best I think is the only sane advice

regards

More
30 Mar 2014 04:42 #45387 by jpka
Replied by jpka on topic USB versus PS/2 keyboard
I suggest never to use USB on production machine. Due to its weak nature, USB will be randomly disconnect when powerful motors and transformers near it will be turned on and off. And many other problems exist with USB. I suggest to use only PS/2 and serial input devices when possible.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds