Dell Dimension 9200 jitter issue

More
25 Mar 2014 18:01 #45228 by ArcEye
The other option if the nvidia drivers push the latency up, is ditch the nvidia card and get something like the ATI Radeon PCIe card

I have 3 AGP versions of the 550 card in my P4s and they just work and take the graphics overhead off the processor and RAM
(5K idle and 9K heavily loaded)

They only cost £5 to £10 on ebay, because they are all second hand recovered from old machines.

If it does not work, you can just put it back on ebay, if it does sell the nvidia card and get your money back :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2014 18:15 #45230 by Eric66
Hi Everyone,

First of all I want to thank you for the wonderful help and support provided :)
This morning, after some repairing sleep, I finally got a workable xorg.cnf version.
Bottom line, I'm using the NVIDIA card (GE6800) with the vesa drivers and I've got all the settings for my monitor so all resolutions seem to work :woohoo:

So, last, but not least, the upgrade to the latest version of LinuxCNC :S ...
I followed the instruction described in wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.5 but it looks like the pyhton repositories for 8.04 are no longer available:

W: Failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/....0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]

W: Failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/...3-release-5_i386.deb

W: Failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/...gobj_4.4.0-2_all.deb

W: Failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/....4-6ubuntu3_i386.deb

W: Failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/...ine_2.1.0-4_i386.deb

W: Failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/...xt1_1.1.0-3_i386.deb

W: Failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/...-xlib_0.14-1_all.deb

Any alternatives? Or should I stay with emc?

Thanks again for your advice, regards:

Eric

More
25 Mar 2014 18:54 #45232 by ArcEye

W: Failed to fetch archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/....0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

I have just followed this link in a browser and downloaded the deb

Go to one of the higher level dirs ( archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/ say) and manually select the dirs down to the file path, I presume there is a problem with the Ubuntu server or your apt settings sre not right, but this way works fine

regards

More
26 Mar 2014 19:20 #45278 by Eric66
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to try for a a few days (too much work).
I'm afraid the xorg.cnf battle is not totally over yet as I realized the OpenGL is not working :huh:

So, "further work required", I will post the final outcome.

Thanks again, regards:

Eric

More
05 Apr 2014 12:21 #45576 by Eric66
Hi Everyone,

So just to recap, I finally got LinuxCNC 2.5.3 working with Ubuntu 8.04

My suggestion is to edit the file that contains the adress of the repositories once 8.04 has just been installed:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
And then add the following lines:
## EOL upgrade sources.list
# Required
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security main restricted universe multiverse

# Optional
#deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

This should fix most of the fetching errors when trying to install an application or package.

(please see cloudishvps.com/plesk/ubuntu-8-04-altern...iled-to-fetch-error/ or askubuntu.com/questions/91815/how-to-ins...-unsupported-release and many others)

After this modification, LinuxCNC 2.5.3 can be installed without problems.

I still have an issue with pcb2gcode which I´m unable to compile, but I will post this in the right section.

So, bottom line is that the Dell Dimension 9200 works (using the VESA driver), the latency still a bit high (11000) and maybe it can be improved, but I´m afraid I´ve run out of time for further tweaking.

Thank for you the feedback and support recieved!

Regards:

Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArcEye

More
05 Apr 2014 14:09 #45580 by ArcEye

And then add the following lines:

## EOL upgrade sources.list
# Required
deb old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted universe multiverse
deb old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-security main restricted universe multiverse

Well done, I came across this problem the other day when I wanted to install a package on an old machine, but did not have time to resolve it.

regards

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds