New PC + 12.04 Precise

• CG0
  • CG0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2014 06:06 #45524 by CG0
New PC + 12.04 Precise was created by CG0
I just wanted to post this for anyone interested in using a new pc with linuxcnc.
I didnt want to deal with any problems using an older pc so I started with all new parts.
This turned into alot of research looking up parts that would work with linux and my cnc controller.

To save others from having to do this I am going to post what I have and results so far.

motherboard: Asrock H81-10 socket 1150 (most h81 chipset boards have a parallel port on the board) only need an old school parallel plug to use it.
cpu: Intel G3220 2core no hyperthread
mem: 4gig
pws: Corsair 80+ gold 450w
I mounted everything in a standard rack mount case with filters on the fans, standard sata hhd.
Bios : only the power savings turned off and using the built in video on the cpu and addon wireless network card.

cnc drive: normal parallel drive and stepper motors, e stops and spindle relay atm. 570oz low inductance motors, 8 amp max stepper drives and running at 48 volts

Currently my pc and drives are sitting on a bench for testing.
I switched to Ubuntu Precise 12.04 x32 / 2.6 linuxcnc to support my new motherboard hardware although it did run off 10.04 but it wouldnt shutdown correctly.
The latency is typically under 3k on this board. I have both set to 5k now and it works great.
Using axis and my hacked version of gemocappy / axis to run my steppers. :evil:

Rapids have been tested upto 348 in/min with no problems.
Working on a rack system with weights to test max torque soon.

For the time being this setup is available for testing if anyone here working on the 12.04 project needs a working system to test stuff B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2014 14:32 #45529 by DaBit
Replied by DaBit on topic New PC + 12.04 Precise
Yes, there still is a lot of modern hardware out there that performs decent. I am using an Asus Z77 mainboard with Celeron G550 processor and my latency is also <5K with 12.04 and the 3.4.55-rtai-2 kernel.

More
03 Apr 2014 15:06 #45530 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic New PC + 12.04 Precise
I am using (in 5 machines now) with:

Gigabyte E350N WIN8
2Gb DDR

<10K latency

• CG0
  • CG0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2014 00:59 #45544 by CG0
Replied by CG0 on topic New PC + 12.04 Precise
The goal of my post was to provide a list of parts that are current and also a motherboard with a hardware (built in) parallel port.

I couldnt find any Z77 chipsets with a parallel port on board at the time I did my research, thats why I went with the H81 chipset.

The Gigabyte E350N WIN8 looks like a nice board and Im sure it works great, I only could find it through Overstock and Amazon today.
I didnt want a board that wasnt current, plus it doesnt help anyone if you cant buy it.

Thanks for your input B)

More
04 Apr 2014 01:16 #45546 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic New PC + 12.04 Precise
I bought one last week, so it is still available.

More
04 Apr 2014 03:40 #45551 by DaBit
Replied by DaBit on topic New PC + 12.04 Precise
I used that Z77 board only because the D525MW broke and had to be returned to Intel for warranty. Took 6 weeks, and I could not wait that long so I got a locally available board+processor.

No parallel port doesn't bother me. 12 euros gets you a PCI or PCIe card with two LPT ports on it. That's just as much as a remotely decent 6mm carbide endmill, not exactly a show stopper.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds