USB and video signal lenght

More
11 Apr 2014 01:01 #45806 by emcPT
Hello, I am working on a machine where I need the user console/display far away from the PC/electrical cabinet.
The machine is a water cut machine where the water/sand/dust are present, so some distance to the sensible stuff is necessary.
My question is if anyone have experience in placing the PC away from the keyboard/mouse. The distance that I need is a bit less than 10m (32 feets).
The video can be HDMI if it would bring any advantage.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2014 01:18 #45808 by dracozny
VGA will be the more affordable solution. a 35-50 foot cable can be had for around $15. Hdmi is going to cost you hundreds.

More
11 Apr 2014 01:21 #45809 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic USB and video signal lenght
Ok, VGA then, and about the USB will it work over a large distance?

More
11 Apr 2014 01:33 #45811 by dracozny
you can get 32 foot cables for around $50 cheaper if you look around, the thing with USB though is you may have to consider adding extra shielding. it does pick up noise from the motors easily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: emcPT

More
11 Apr 2014 07:05 #45829 by cncbasher
i have used powered USB extensions and long cables for the same reasons , 10m should not be a problem , although i do tend to make extra careful that these are carried seperate in earthed trunking
and well away from 3 phase etc .

iv'e tended on long runs to always over spec the cable , and even slid them inside braided sleeving ( external braid from UR67 Coax )
iv'e easily gone to 15m without any problems , 20m on one occasion gave us a little problem on the monitor , but not enough for to cause any problem and the customer was happy .
The following user(s) said Thank You: emcPT

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds