Luinix 12.04 LTS - SCREWED UP EVERYTHING - WARNING

More
30 Mar 2015 11:20 - 30 Mar 2015 12:48 #57305 by Askjerry
:(

So I connected the internet to my machine and it said there were updates. It said update to 12.04 LTS... so I did.

Well... now NONE of may launchers work, the desktop is completely rearranged, I have no clue how to launch the CNC machine... if I cant resolve it... I'm going to have to reinstall everything from 10.04 and start over. Even the little penguin icons are gone... just white butt-ugly icons in their place. This is a screw-up of WINDOWS proportions.

So now what??? :angry:

Well... after screwing with it for at least an hour and a half... I stuck the 10.04 CD in there and I am REFORMATTING the hard drive. I'll reinstall 2.5.x and upgrade it to 2.6.6 then back away... far away... lesson learned. The new desktop... it is about as screwed up as WINDOWS 8... I mean HORRIBLE.

Thanks,
Jerry
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 12:48 by Askjerry. Reason: New Info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2015 12:51 #57306 by emcPT
Most important is to have your configs from the machine where you have your ini ang hal files. Also if you have custom components get them in a backup. Normally you would just copy the folder of your config + components.
After that you can try to fix what is wrong or to re install.

More
30 Mar 2015 13:45 #57307 by ArcEye
Hi,

It will be of no use to you now, to know that the forum is littered with warnings not to 'upgrade to 12.04'.

The major thing that kills everything, is that the rtai kernel is replaced with a normal one.

I would get into the habit of backing up your home directory onto a USB stick.
So long as you keep all your configs, gcode etc in this one location, you can restore 95% of your CNC stuff just by doing a new install and overwriting the home dir.

regards

More
30 Mar 2015 19:51 #57315 by Askjerry
I'm a huge fan of backups... after doing a reinstall of 10.04, then an upgrade to 2.6.7 I'm pretty much back where I was before the install... so that's good. All I lost was a couple of hours of my time. I'm glad I didn't loose my work... I was doing an update to the local hackerspace machine... adding functionality.

I had just started looking at Glade... as some of the members are really good at Python... so we were thinking of installing new scripts and so forth. Anyway... glad to have it back running properly!

Thanks,
Jerry

More
31 Mar 2015 07:49 #57330 by andypugh
It is possible to run LinuxCNC on Precise, and I don't actually mind the UI too much (it's just different).

But you can't get there by upgrading via Ubuntu packages because you lose the realtime kernel.

If you like 10.04 more than 12.04 then you would probably get on with the Debian Wheezy LiveCD. All your configs should "Just Work" with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Askjerry

More
31 Mar 2015 07:53 #57332 by Askjerry
The 10.04 works, and works well... it does what I need... so I'm happy with it. If I saw some really big reason for the upgrade perhaps... like going from LinuxCNC 2.4.x to 2.6.x suddenly gave me the ability to pass variables from my pyVCP panel to G-Code... so really worth the upgrade. But version 10 to 12... eh... new interface that I really hated... and no real reason to upgrade that i could tell.

Thanks,
Jerry

More
05 May 2015 02:55 - 05 May 2015 03:03 #58384 by dkmc
Hey, don't feel too bad eh?
I did the exact same thing as a newbie about a week before you did....
I spent -hours- due to it being a dual boot machine and I didn't want to
format and loose my Windoze stuff. I saved it but it was agony.
Live and learn!

dan k
Last edit: 05 May 2015 03:03 by dkmc.

More
05 May 2015 09:31 #58392 by Askjerry
B)

Lucky for me I had the presence of mind to copy the linuxcnc folder to a thumb drive. Getting back wasn't too bad... just had to reformat and reinstall. It actually went pretty quickly.

Jerry

More
05 May 2015 10:52 #58394 by JoeHildreth
I guess it doesn't really matter at this point, but you can install the gnome desktop on Ubuntu 12.04 by running the following command:
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

It took me a while, but I am sort of getting used to the unity desktop.

Joe

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds