Cannot boot from ISO

More
03 Jul 2015 01:31 - 03 Jul 2015 01:36 #60352 by micro_marco
Hello,

I've downloaded the newer hybrid iso from this website, and used unetbootin to burn it to a usb stick, but it always fails to load to OS...I've tried it on 3 computers and i always get the same error....cannot start display: :0

any ideas?

Thanks
Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 01:36 by micro_marco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 13:13 #60366 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Cannot boot from ISO
Hi,

The error is an xserver one, but is a symptom rather than the actual problem.

Not all USB sticks are suitable for booting from and not all writing programs do it properly.

I have never bothered with USB and burn CDs or DVDs which boot without any issues.

If you have that option, use it. I long ago bought a USB connected DVD-RW drive to load onto any computers without their own ones.

If you don't have that option, can only suggest a fresh download and different stick.
Definitely do not use a Sandisk stick, it is very hard to clean the windoze s**t off them so that they will boot properly

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: micro_marco

More
03 Jul 2015 18:14 #60377 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Cannot boot from ISO
As a noob who has not even got any CNC hardware to control yet, I found that some PC's would boot from USB and others wouldn't. Most reliable was to burn to a DVD.

More
04 Jul 2015 05:20 #60396 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Cannot boot from ISO
The debian version will work from an usb only if writen as an image directly with dd, i did not try norton ghost but it might work. With DD it works always, did it several times on several USB sticks and tested on several laptops and a dell optiplex xxx, all worked without a hitch.
Here is the link on how it should be done.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Hybrid_Iso

The unetbootin and ubuntu startup disk creator will not work, i did not try unetbootin but i know how it works so i assume it will not work, ubuntu startup i did test and it fails always.
Tom

More
04 Jul 2015 07:47 #60401 by micro_marco
Replied by micro_marco on topic Cannot boot from ISO
Yeah...that was it!

Tried it with win32diskimager and it now booted in 2 out of my 3 computers! Just the one with nvidia card got a blank screen...likely a driver issue. the other 2 with AMD cards worked fine.

But to be honest i'm kinda disapointed with the performance of my litle Athlon 5350...i thought i had a winner here and got really bad results!

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds