Source of jitter spikes I hadn't seen commented on

More
05 Jul 2015 22:49 #60438 by yugami
I was having weird regular spikes of jitter when testing. Jumps into the 40 and 50,000 range sometimes even higher.

I thought it was bizarre and was following all the hints and tricks I could find with no real improvement.

This morning I turned off networking (which was using a USB Wifi adapter) and boom back down to the low 20's which seems to be tied to HD access.

I know its not sub 10 but it keeps the PC usable.

This is an old Dell Optiplex gx280

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2015 23:11 #60440 by ArcEye
USB wifi is a plague, half the dongles don't work at all or don't work properly with linux.

I have had problems in the past with USB mice, move the mouse and the latency spikes, change the mouse to a PS2 one and problem disappears.

WiFi generally is not a good idea around machines with motors with magnetic fields etc.

I use home plugs and wired ethernet connections in my workshop which is 200ft from the house and it works fine with good speed.

If you want to continue to use USB WiFi, you have an update method etc. just have to disable it before machining, seems a workable solution

regards

More
13 Jul 2015 03:23 #60598 by Hunter
I found a great alternative to WIFI for my PC using a WiFi repeater that has a wired port. The repeater can be placed a safe distance away from the PC and mill and then run your wired connection to it.

The model I use is the Amped Wireless REC10 which was around 60$ at Office Max, but I'm sure there are other models available.

More
13 Jul 2015 21:37 #60613 by yugami
Thats a good idea, I wonder if I could run a hub through the port too. I have 2 workstations and the wifi dongle I bought has horrible reception so the 2nd PC doens't pick anything up the first is very slow.

More
14 Jul 2015 07:59 #60619 by Hunter
I see no reason why the hub wouldn't work.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds