Mini ITX Motherboard

More
24 Jul 2015 18:07 #60879 by Muzzer
Looking at mini-ITX boards with PCI slot (for Mesa 5125).

Mini-ITX store

Sounds as if LCNC only uses one core and ideally I'd choose one with a single 12Vcd input. What minimum processor would I need to run 3-axis without impacting performance?

The recommended motherboard list seems to be mostly OOD now, so looks as if I need to look again. I'll be building this into the cabinet with my DMM Tech servo drives, PSU and probably a new VFD. I'm familiar with the need to avoid noise and interference due to the layout.

Murray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2015 22:08 #60886 by Muzzer
They seem to do 12Vdc input Atom boards with PCI slot (for Mesa)

Jetway JNF9C-2600 Long Life Fanless 1.6GHz Atom Thin-ITX Board with 12V DC Input and CFAST for £99

My question is whether an Atom 1.6GHz is adequate. Couldn't see anything firm either way on the forum earlier today and a lot of the mobo info is now outdated.

Thx

Murray

More
24 Jul 2015 22:19 - 24 Jul 2015 22:20 #60887 by ArcEye
1.6GHz was good enough for the D525 Atom boards so don't imagine that is a problem
Latency is nothing to do with processor power. albeit it obviously does have an impact in other areas

Jetway JNF9C-2600

If that is the 2600 Intel with GMA36xx video chip, then avoid it

The best bet seems to be a J1900 based board, search the forum for that and you will find several posts of the specific boards that PCW has tested

I think a couple of them are on the wiki too

regards
Last edit: 24 Jul 2015 22:20 by ArcEye.

More
25 Jul 2015 01:11 #60893 by andypugh
I am reasonably happy with the Jetway I just bought:
www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=89#JNF9C-2800

There is a VGA header on the board, and a breakout cable is supplied if you need VGA.
It is low-profile so that a Mesa card can fit over the board on a short PCI riser for a nice compact installation. This works well with a 5i23 and I imaginewould be good with a 5i25 too.

12V DC input, as you requested. Not the cheapest board out there, but Linux installed without issue, unlike my terrible experience with a Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2P which had an old, buggy BIOS.
(The Gigabyte might well be better with the latest BIOS, but the one I had couldn't even boot the BIOS updater and wasn't 12V DC input)

More
25 Jul 2015 01:29 #60894 by Muzzer
Thanks Andy. Where did you buy it? Mini-ITX seems to be based in US.

Any views on using a touch screen monitor? I suspect it's one of those things that splits opinion but possibly avoids / reduces need for a keyboard, esp if coupled with a MPG pendant thingy.

Murray

More
25 Jul 2015 01:58 #60895 by andypugh

Thanks Andy. Where did you buy it? Mini-ITX seems to be based in US.

They are in the UK, but so am I.

Any views on using a touch screen monitor?

I am using it with a USB touch-screen monitor, it works as well as any other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muzzer

More
25 Jul 2015 02:22 #60896 by Muzzer
Actually I'm now living back in the UK. Moved back from Canada last October. Hadn't noticed that my profile showed Canada but I've just corrected that.

What's the touch screen monitor you've got - could you share details? The monitor doesn't need to be fancy resolution or fast but a new 15-17" touchscreen monitor is best part of £150 - 200.

More
29 Jul 2015 04:02 - 31 Jul 2015 07:32 #61005 by SrLange61
I just found this review of the new ASRock MB's.

www.eteknix.com/asrock-n3150-braswell-motherboard-round-review/

I'm tempted to get the N3150B-ITX as its available here in Sydney Aust.

srl
Last edit: 31 Jul 2015 07:32 by SrLange61.

More
29 Jul 2015 17:23 #61013 by Muzzer
Looks like a nice little MB. Couple of questions / issues, depending on what it's used for:
  • Lacks a full PCI slot (if you plan to use a Mesa 5i25 card, that's a problem).
  • Needs an ATX 24 pin power supply. I'd prefer just a single 12V supply myself.
  • Can LinuxCNC use more than one core?
Murray

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds