Linux Library Hell

More
06 Jun 2019 21:09 #136092 by MattM
Linux Library Hell was created by MattM
I'm running the latest version of LinuxCNC (2.7.14) and trying to connect a Contour Shuttle Express. I have read everything I can find about this, and while there is some material, there is no step-by-step procedure covering everything that has to be done. After setting up a shuttle.hal file and adding it to my .ini, and also making the required entries in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory, I still can't get it to connect.

After more research I decided I needed to install HIDComp (hidcomp.sourceforge.net). I got that installed and tried to run hidconfig only to get a missing library error (libqt4-xmlpatterns.so). I checked and the QT4 package is already installed. Since this is a missing library, I assume I need a qt4-dev package or something like that. However, I can not find such a package for wheezy. Only for newer versions of Debian.

Worse, the Debian website seems to have placed wheezy in a black hole of sorts. The current package repo on the Debian website (www.debian.org/distrib/packages) only goes back to jessie (Debian 8) and the archive repos (www.debian.org/distrib/archive) only go forward to squeeze (Debian 6). No Debian 7 anywhere!

Has anyone else gotten hidconfig to work? Or gotten the missing qt4 library installed? If so, how?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2019 22:25 #136116 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Linux Library Hell
I assume that shuttle is a machine so what does it use to connect to the PC?
Also assuming from your his stuff, it does use USB for communication, and in that case it will not work.
Linuxcnc does not do USB control, except for non real time stuff, so machine control is out. That is because USB has latency problems and should not be used to control anything that requires real time control and response.

More
07 Jun 2019 02:50 #136160 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Linux Library Hell
Try the repository listed here

Cheers, Phill.

More
10 Jun 2019 21:39 #136513 by MattM
Replied by MattM on topic Linux Library Hell
Yes, it connects with USB, but it's a control wheel, not a machine. It's the same one used by Tormach with their milling machines (which also run LinuxCNC).

Tormach Shuttle

More
10 Jun 2019 21:40 #136514 by MattM
Replied by MattM on topic Linux Library Hell
I think I am already pointing at those repos, but I will double-check. Thanks!

More
01 Jun 2022 10:56 #244360 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Linux Library Hell
spammer booted.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds