PC OS question 4x4 table

More
05 Jul 2019 17:02 #138697 by motal2004
Hello,
I am knew to Linux and this forums so if I posted this in the wrong section my apologies

My Questions:
Does latency numbers matter when using a mesa, Ethernet connected, board?
Based on my pc should I stick with Debian 9 or should I used a different Linux OS

I’m building a 4x4 cnc plasma table to be used for hobbies and a light side “hustle” hopefully. I have it fabed up and ready to start testing. Its A XYY’Z dual motor gantry set up. I plan on using a candcnc’s Feather Touch Ohmic Sensor as well. I search the Forums and found a picture of someone else wiring setup that coincidently is the same outline I was going to used.
I intend to use the Proma’s linuxcnc plasma as a base configuration
My set up:
PC
Q1x00P Nano fan-less J1900 “Baytrail”
OS
Debian 9 with the d9-uspace 4.9.0-9-rt-amd64 kernel
With the 2.8 (what was the master) version
Controller
MESA 7i96
THC
Mesa THCAD-10
Hardware
4 - 570 oz. stepper motors
4 - KL-5042E drivers
2 - 36v power supplies
1 – 5 v power supply for the Mesa 7I96 board
4 - LJ18A3-8-Z/BX Inductive Proximity Sensor Switch NPN DC6-36V D18mm
I do have a 4 channel relay that will be used for the torch “on/off”
Plasma Machine
Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2019 20:18 #138699 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic PC OS question 4x4 table
Latency matters only if it is uterly useless for mesa, your board should be good so no worries.
If you have a THCAD do not buy a proma, those are the same thing in different versions.

More
05 Jul 2019 20:24 #138701 by motal2004
Replied by motal2004 on topic PC OS question 4x4 table
Thanks tommylight for the input.

More
05 Jul 2019 21:16 - 05 Jul 2019 21:20 #138707 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic PC OS question 4x4 table
If you adopt the master branch V2.9 there is a complete plasma controller called Plasmac. It may end up in V 2.8 but it won't have the reverse run feature for error recovery that is in V 2.9.

If you follow your nose to the 2.9 Docs from the home page, you will find a link to the plasmac user guide under the heading "User Interfaces"
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasmac-user-guide.html.

Also in the V 2.9 docs, under "General User Information", there is a link to a Plasma cutting primer which you must read.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasma-cnc-primer.html

In relation to Ohmic sensing, I would not use the feather touch but instead adopt the proven simple Circuit in the primer which is fully supported by Plasmac and just needs an isolated power supply. 3 relays and a diode.

And yes the J1900 should be fine. Thats what I use. Just disable all power saving in the Bios and if its like my Gigabyte Brix, use a normal USB wifi dongle instead of the internal Wifi board which created huge latency.

Good luck on your journey. By the time you follow those links which have only just been added to 2.9, you will be 3 years ahead of where I started!

EDIT: And yes, the THCAD will trump the proma every time so go with it if you don't already have the proma. (Plasmac supports both) but can do more if it has the THCAD.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2019 21:20 by rodw.

More
05 Jul 2019 21:49 #138710 by motal2004
Replied by motal2004 on topic PC OS question 4x4 table
Rodw thank you for your in depth response. After spending many hours on the forums I have come to appreciate everyone that has been involved and is willing to share their knowledge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
05 Jul 2019 22:15 #138711 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic PC OS question 4x4 table

Rodw thank you for your in depth response. After spending many hours on the forums I have come to appreciate everyone that has been involved and is willing to share their knowledge.

You are welcome. It is easier to help now we have captured so much information in the documents I linked to. I Was actually excited for Phill this morning to see he has approval to push Plasmac to version 2. 8 which will soon become the release version. It won't have revere run as that did not make it into V 2.8 but everything else will be there.

More
06 Jul 2019 16:07 #138746 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic PC OS question 4x4 table
the mashine will be the hell of speed and a very good EMI shield
you will be impressed on the performence

and phil/rod Plasmac is a very good start on the mashine setup gui for you

as rod pointed there is alredy a plasmac basic config for your mashine
you shoudt go with this wirer setup also to not be confused and get even more help

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds