Tiny Computer with Printer port, still interesting?

More
06 Nov 2019 18:10 #149740 by Jalfrezi19
Dear all,

Is the NCBox 189 capable of running Linux CNC 2.8?

I've managed to get my hands on an old Tiny computer that was discussed before on this forum:
Tiny computer with Printer port

Besides network challenges mentioned in the link above, it was facing some difficulty booting from CF card:
NCBox CF Booting Solved

I'm new to Linux and I was wondering if the NCBox is worth diving into (Since I'm new to it all, it will take me quit some time).
Are there any hardware related issues to be expected (it is an older PC) that would prevent it from running LinuxCNC 2.8?
It's now running Ubuntu 8.04 with LinuxCNC 2.5.2, can I just upgrade to 2.8? (If I can get the network up and running...)

Kind regards,
Sander
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2019 10:11 #149824 by pl7i92
there are very good best boards on market
J1900
J1800
and if you can get take a D525MW
this woudt be a better option then the box you mentioned

More
07 Nov 2019 12:40 #149846 by andypugh
I have one of the NCboxes, so I could try installing LinuxCNC 2.8 on it to find out.

It uses the Vortex86 chip, so my guess would be that it ought to work with preempt-RT OK, and possibly with RTAI.

More
07 Nov 2019 16:24 #149859 by Jalfrezi19
Thanks for the generous offer, but the reply of pl7i25 got me thinking. I'm still not very comfortable with Linux and his post combined with the posts about the NCbox get to me a little bit. I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough at this moment to get all issues properly solved (network issues, boot issues).

I'll first explore some other hardware options like a secondhand D525MW or a new J4005B-ITX before continuing with the NCBox...

Thanks,
Sander

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds