Embedded LinuxCNC distro possible?

More
21 Mar 2020 17:05 #160998 by spma
Hi everyone,

This is going to be a, somewhat, very technical Linux question, so bare with me for a bit...

I've been tinkering with some embedded Linux experiments using musl-libc , Busybox , Toybox , etc., building a few embedded Linux systems from scratch (I've done a couple of Linux From Scratch builds, which help a lot to understand the concepts).

I started thinking "Why not try and build an 'embedded LinuxCNC' distro??".

So the idea is to try and create the most compact Linux system possible, aimed at only running LinuxCNC.
I know all about needing to satisfy dependencies and all, but there is one question:

Does anyone know if LinuxCNC depends (either directly or not) on glibc to work?

I this would help fighting the problems LinuxCNC is facing about future-proofness as well as boosting performance in RPI control based systems.

I'm hoping to have some feedback about this, I want to know if this is something that could be worth putting time into.

Miscelaneous:
There is an unmaintained, undated comparison between C/POSIX standard library implementations in Linux that shows how musl-libc compares with other libraries, actually beating glibc in some points.

My best regards,

Simão A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2020 17:48 #161009 by Bari
We have been using Gentoo with LCNC for quite a while. So you can do this but you will very likely be on your own for support. People involved in the main project are already pretty busy.

There is already a Gentoo 64b image for the Rpi4 that makes it easy to update if you are not used to emerge.

github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit

I'd look at this for a starting point to build something stripped down and stable for the Rpi4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spma

More
21 Mar 2020 17:51 #161010 by BeagleBrainz
What are the issues that linuxcnc is fighting in future proof ness ?
I’m not a programmer so this question is just one of interest.

More
21 Mar 2020 18:32 #161017 by spma
@BeagleBrainz This is the most important one, I think, the problem that LCNC relies heavily in python2 and the fact that its EOL was 1/1/2020 ( Python2 EOL Countdown , info in python.org ) and Debian is currently removing python2 support .

@Bari thank you for that, I'll definitely look into it!
I know the main project is in a bit of a pickle, especially with the python upgrade thing....
I'm going to see if I can start helping on that!
Meanwhile I left this idea here, for further discussion.

Simão A.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
21 Mar 2020 18:50 #161018 by tommylight
I am aware of the massive changes from python 2 to 3 from the very beginning of it, but i could never find a reasonable explanation on ditching the backward compatibility. Then again, since i rarely use it, i am not the one to judge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spma

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds