This looks interesting, looks a little $$$, but it's small and x86 and quad core

More
05 Apr 2020 23:54 #162826 by BeagleBrainz
This popped up on youtube last night

I really think I need one

The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2020 03:31 #162840 by phillc54
That looks interesting, it's a pity the Downunder Dollar is worth nothing...

More
06 Apr 2020 04:13 #162843 by BeagleBrainz
Maybe someone will take pity on us. :laugh:

I think I will justify the price for a birthday present for my son the help with his studies at uni, or maybe 2 units. That's if we are still all here come September and the aliens haven't harvested us all........Have you ever seen Bad Taste ? The streets are starting to look like Kaihoro.

For those that aren't aware
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Taste

Funny thing is I've been exchanging emails with a gent on the MK google group and mentioned something about an SBC with SATA and a few other connection options.

Unfortunately it has the demonic possession know as UEFI. :evil:

More
06 Apr 2020 04:21 #162845 by phillc54

Unfortunately it has the demonic possession know as UEFI. :evil:

You may learn to love it. ;)

More
06 Apr 2020 04:31 #162849 by BeagleBrainz
I think "have to" is the more appropriate phrase. Maybe the guys developing preempt & realtime can sort it out so everyone plays nicely.

Tho to quote an anon source, who thinks Linuxcnc may need a warning:

"If your PC / Motherboard is UEFI only then we recommend that you burn
it and dispose of it in a responsible manner such that there is no
chance of any other victims trying to use it"

Personally I'd recommend an exorcism first, followed by a trial behind closed doors then the whole burning at the stake thing.

More
06 Apr 2020 07:05 #162861 by bbsr_5a
there are other boards user uses and giving lower cost more options as of J3455B-ITX
give it a look

More
06 Apr 2020 10:13 #162878 by BeagleBrainz
FFS I know, I use a J3355B yes it's only dual core compared to the J3455B quad,But they are still somewhat larger form factor, doesn't have twin Ethernet, nor the GPIO options. Nor have 8GB RAM installed, you need to get a PSU, nor do they have wireless on board, and the only storage options are SSD\HDD. And the J3455B & J3355B aren't as readily available as the were before.
I wasn't comparing them I was pointing out an interesting little x86 SBC.
And where will you get a $15 ITX case ?
Sometimes bbsr_5a you add nothing to a conversation.

And the Odyssey uses the same CPU as the newer Asrock Gemini lake based board.

More
06 Apr 2020 10:25 #162881 by tommylight

More
30 Jun 2021 16:00 #213350 by kelargo
I hope it is ok to comment on this old thread.  has anyone succeeded running LinuxCNC on this board?  if so, what's the prognosis?

I see they have a slightly newer version, with a newer CPU; Intel Celeron J4125.

As well as the small form factor, I like it having two network interfaces, one can be dedicated to a MESA7I95.  and the other to my home network.   I am putting my electronics into a cooper B-Line NEMA enclosure and this would fit nicely.

thanks

More
03 Jul 2021 15:42 #213567 by Mike_Eitel
I do have one and yes I have lcnc running on it. I even did some pci extention and a lpt port running on the extender. When I had problems with trying to access a 7i43. Never got it running. Got in contact with seeed Hotline, the talked quite big but never delivered. Their support is not worth to be called so. The even can't tell you how the connection to the included samd chips is solved.
Never intended to use this board but having it as test bench for all versions of lcnc.. And a solution with the standalone cpu ( 61131) on board seemed sexy..
Very well made hw, but cause of lacking support collecting dust since a year.
Mike

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds