Recommendations for new high quality mobo/proc/ram

More
14 Sep 2020 18:17 #182117 by txtrone
What are some proven boards, procs, and ram that could be purchased right now in the US?

Someone mentioned the MSI (B365M PRO-VH) with a Pentium Gold G5600 at 3.9GHz and 8GB of ram was running extremely well for them.

Is any 2 core pentium good, the faster the better? Or are there certain variations that work much better due to their chipset?

What about ECC memory vs non ECC?

What about board BIOS options?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2020 20:11 #182129 by BeagleBrainz
What equates to high end to gamers and power users does not always equate to best for Linuxcnc.
Quite a few users, myself included, are getting very good results with J series ITX boards.
I’m currently working on putting an Odroid H2+ through it’s paces.
Tommy has some really good advice on ex corporate machines that work.
The important thing with Linuxcnc is stable low latency. Have that and everything else is a cake walk. Have latency issues and you’re in a world of hurt. In saying that don’t get caught up trying to chase down latency too much. Once you’re at a stage where it’s stable and low enough you’re ready to start cooking with fossil fuels. Mess around too much and you’ll be in a position where the excrement hits the ceiling mounted cooling device. And if you find yourself in that position pray not it is an industrial one but a domestic version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Sep 2020 20:38 #182133 by txtrone
Thanks for the info. I will do some more research. I am hoping to buy the parts on Amazon/Newegg/etc ... rather than hunting down some used machine on ebay. In the short time I have been reading up (48 hours) I have learned that no more than two cores in the processor is a must and that the UEFI BIOS is not proffered, so I should be looking for one that has legacy as well. What motherboard and processor do you use in your J series ITX setups?

More
14 Sep 2020 20:54 #182136 by tommylight

In the short time I have been reading up (48 hours) I have learned that no more than two cores in the processor is a must and that the UEFI BIOS is not proffered,

Not entirely true, my bro has a 12 core Ryzen that has very good latency, i had a 6 core Ryzen that was useless, and i still have some single core processors that work nicely, so number of cores/processors = not relevant.
Motherboards, chipsets, ram and peripheral controllers are much more important, good quality ram is important, good power supply and cooling is important.
I have 3 of Asus Z270-A PRO mobos, they do work nicely with celeron and i5 processors, they are older but not cheap so if i had to buy new i would risk something else for me, but would go with that for clients.
Fujitsu PC's and some laptops have proven very good lately, i have one of those laptops running a plasma cutter every day for the last 3 weeks in a factory, no issues so far, but in general stay away from laptops, to much power saving stuff.

More
14 Sep 2020 21:33 #182141 by BeagleBrainz
No issues with UEFI, technically speaking the only issue is installation on a UEFI system.
RT_PREEMPT kernels have to be told to “turn on” UEFI functionality otherwise there are failures with installation of grub if efivars isn’t mounted. After installation it’s not really an issue.
The ISO that I remixed based on Mint for the Odroid, which is also fine for 64 bit PCs has the required switch embedded in the kernel image, so it’s all very transparent to the user as far as my testing has seen.
Greater than 2 cores isn’t an issue. Sometimes on a 4 core system isolating a pair of cores can help in reducing latency.
Due to Intel’s recommendations, as I interpreted it, new motherboard design will not have legacy support.
The J3345B I use has legacy support, the next in line doesn’t support legacy.
The issue I see with this is on a system that requires RTAI, RTAI point blank does not support UEFI, so the RTAI would require installation after the system is installed with a suitable kernel.

More
14 Sep 2020 21:34 #182142 by txtrone
Thank you sir! Is this the mobo you are referring to? If so, what ram would you suggest, for one of your customers?

More
14 Sep 2020 21:45 #182145 by tommylight
No that is not the board, mine are Asus, not MSI.
Both my Bro and i have MSI on Ryzen systems, but mine is crappy and his is high end.

More
14 Sep 2020 21:49 #182147 by txtrone

More
14 Sep 2020 21:52 #182149 by txtrone

The J3345B I use has legacy support, the next in line doesn’t support legacy.

Is your board Asus or Asrock?

More
14 Sep 2020 22:07 #182151 by tommylight

This one?

Yes that is the one, but bloody hell that is 300$ !!! I paid less when i got then brand new 3 years ago.
A few days back i wanted to buy this
gjirafa50.com/pjese-per-kompjutere/pllak...ix-intel-z270/#rel=1
Water cooled and very cheap but i did not as it is old, and the best thing was it was available locally so i could have gotten it in 2 days or go pick it up the same day, but still did not buy it !

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds