Recommendations for new high quality mobo/proc/ram

More
14 Sep 2020 22:12 - 14 Sep 2020 22:15 #182152 by txtrone
Yes that is pricey. Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way. I have some PCs laying around that technically meet the requirements. Is there a good way to test them to see if they will work? ETA: Never mind, I found the tutorial and script you made.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 22:15 by txtrone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2020 22:36 #182155 by BeagleBrainz
Asrock.

Currently putting the Odroid through it's paces, results starting to look really good.

Cost so far has been AUD $300 delivered to Australia.
Includes:
Odroid H2+
2 x 4GB RAM
PSU
SATA cables
Extra BIOS Battery

Then I splashed out $99 on a Crucial P1 500GB NVME drive. Was the only one one the shop had in stock, could have ordered a cheaper one or gone for an SSD. No Ididn't get a EMMC module.

More
14 Sep 2020 23:11 #182160 by txtrone

The ISO that I remixed based on Mint for the Odroid, which is also fine for 64 bit PCs has the required switch embedded in the kernel image, so it’s all very transparent to the user as far as my testing has seen.

Mint is my main OS for computing needs, so I am fairly comfortable working with it. Is your ISO available to download?

More
14 Sep 2020 23:15 #182161 by txtrone

Includes:
Odroid H2+
2 x 4GB RAM
PSU
SATA cables
Extra BIOS Battery

Then I splashed out $99 on a Crucial P1 500GB NVME drive. Was the only one one the shop had in stock, could have ordered a cheaper one or gone for an SSD. No Ididn't get a EMMC module.

Wow, that's a lot of bang for the buck! What PSU and RAM? Why the extra BIOS battery?

More
14 Sep 2020 23:26 #182163 by BeagleBrainz
Just in case.....actually I wasn't too sure if it was a required extra....hahaha
I bought every thing from HardKernel, much cheaper than from local supplier.
Hardkernel have a list of RAM that works, but I thought might as well get everything from the one place. When I put it in the control box I'll go with a suitable Meanwell DIN rail mounted PSU.

Try this, it's good for a std x86_64 install, be nice to get some feedback....It's actually XFCE
cnc.beaglebrainz.net/cdimage/odroid/cnc-...lus-uspace-64bit.iso

More
15 Sep 2020 00:56 #182167 by txtrone
Thanks! I will let you know how it goes.

More
15 Sep 2020 23:27 #182299 by txtrone
Is there a way to direct message you?

More
15 Sep 2020 23:38 #182302 by BeagleBrainz
No, everything is through the forum.

More
16 Sep 2020 00:04 #182305 by txtrone
Oh well. Just curious how well the Odroid is doing. I was thinking of going ahead and getting one. Do you think it is definitely going to run the table, or are you still testing? I loaded the regular distro onto a laptop last night, just to get familiar with it.

More
16 Sep 2020 00:56 #182309 by BeagleBrainz
Seemed pretty good running latency testes. Usually that is a good indication that it is a usable candidate.
In the next day or so I''l have a chance to hook it up. I wont be actually to make any chips as I'm in the middle of a spindle conversion and waiting for contactors & terminals to turn up.

Currently I'm running a AsRock J3355B-ITX board that has a J3355 the Odroid has a J4105 which on paper seems to be a faster CPU. I like the fact that the Odroid has a NVME on the bottom side of the that gives a nice compact solution. The 2 NICs are also nice as one can be for the Mesa hardware and the other for LAN connection. Access to the I2C bus is also nice. Maybe a user space comp could be used for extra I\O ?

Based on my experience with the J3355B I'm expecting performance to same or slightly better.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds