29 Sep 2020 17:01 - 29 Sep 2020 17:13 #184309 by BeagleBrainz
Did you add:
acpi_osi="!Linux-Lenovo-NV-HDMI-Audio"
or
"acpi_osi=!Linux-Lenovo-NV-HDMI-Audio"
or
acpi_osi=!Linux-Lenovo-NV-HDMI-Audio

www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/admin-guid...rnel-parameters.html
Explains the form of the command. The string should be contained within double quotes.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2020 17:13 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2020 18:22 #184317 by seuchato
here are the results from the test run using lcnc-hw ( I took the freedom to skip what is not of interest in the cotext of this thread):
LinuxCNC pc tests, version 20200930, started 29.09.2020 16:24:28
********************************************************************************
General info:
Dell Inc.,  OptiPlex 980                 

================================================================================
Os related data:
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
Windowmanager = Xfwm4
================================================================================
Kernel related data:
Kernel 4.19.106-rt46-lcnc-2
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=!Linux-Lenovo-NV-HDMI-Audio"
Cpu idle driver: intel_idle
Kernel modules data:
Check if pcspkr is loaded: No, which is good!
Check if snd modules are loaded: No, which is good! 
Command for latency test is:
su cnc -c  "latency-histogram --bbinsize 1000 --base [color=red]100000[/color] --sbinsize 1000 --nox 2>&1 | tee -a 1601389453.lat &"

Latency testing loop started Di Sep 29 16:24:41 CEST 2020, 
should end after Di Sep 29 18:24:41 CEST 2020

Swap useage: prerun: 0, running: 0

CPU core temperatures:
Core 0: Tmin: 32.0°C, Tmax: 71.0°C, (high = +89.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: Tmin: 36.0°C, Tmax: 74.0°C, (high = +89.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
last latency data is as follows:.
 7202 secs  servo min: -26.200 uS max:  25.100 uS sdev:   1.500 uS
 7203 secs   base min: -65.100 uS max:  64.900 uS sdev:   1.300 uS

As you can see, it ran through the whole 2h without a real time delay. I specified 100'000 uS for basethread though. I consider this a step ahead! If BeagleBrainz did do nothing else to the kernel tested here than removing evbug module being loaded (and considering the snd modules being "fake installed" for this run) that seems a promising step to me.

@BeagleBrainz: agree? more action required?

Greez
chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Sep 2020 21:03 #184327 by BeagleBrainz
In all honesty I’d opt for a 7i92 hook that up to the parallel port BOB and carry on from there.
Eventually the 980 will die and you’ll have to go through this whole process again.
Whilst all this is interesting, and I have learnt quite a bit, you need to ask “Do I want play computers or do I want to make chips ?”
Now this is just my opinion,
One thing that is of interest is that Andy and Co have been working on a RTAI kernel.
I did create a Mint ISO with an RTAI kernel but didn’t take it too far. Last I heard was that there were a few issues.
It may be an idea to jump on the emc dev mailing list and ask about it.

More
29 Sep 2020 21:07 - 29 Sep 2020 21:08 #184328 by tommylight
Lates RTAI kernel is still here:
linuxcnc.org/temp/
Edit:
But i do not think RTAI kernel works with ethernet boards.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2020 21:08 by tommylight. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, BeagleBrainz

More
29 Sep 2020 21:15 #184330 by BeagleBrainz
No they don’t.
I should have stated if you want to keep with the Parallel Port option.

More
30 Sep 2020 02:10 #184342 by seuchato

a) In all honesty I’d opt for a 7i92 hook that up to the parallel port BOB and carry on from there.

b)Eventually the 980 will die and you’ll have to go through this whole process again.
c)Whilst all this is interesting, and I have learnt quite a bit, you need to ask “Do I want play computers or do I want to make chips ?”
Now this is just my opinion,
d)One thing that is of interest is that Andy and Co have been working on a RTAI kernel.
e)I did create a Mint ISO with an RTAI kernel but didn’t take it too far. Last I heard was that there were a few issues.
It may be an idea to jump on the emc dev mailing list and ask about it.

a) I'll look into that
b) I have 4 spares sitting here ...
c) I'd like to have a thorough platform for at least a couple of years to make chips. Thus I play while I have time before I need to make chips.
d) I'll look into these kernels
e)I will not use Mint

So thank you for your support so far. I guess I will have to stick with stock kernels then.

greez
chris

More
30 Sep 2020 02:42 #184344 by BeagleBrainz
You'll need the matching RTAPI build of linuxcnc for those kernels. I think tommy linked to the ISO.
If you do decide to jump over to using the Mesa motion control gear, you'll find that latency isn't such an issue.

Best course of action would be to stick with the official RT_PREEMPT linuxcnc buster ISO. On the other hand seeing how RTAPI is going could be an option. Generally RTAPI kernels have given better latency with base & servo threads, which is needed for PP. But if you don't have a legacy boot option installing with a RTAPI kernel wont succeed as with UEFI efivars needs mounting and RTAPI doesn't do it. I spent a fair bit of time trying to get an answer for this. Even RT_PREEMPT needs a kernel commandline switch to mount efivars for installation when booting with UEFI enabled. Hence the reason I built that switch into the kernel itself. Oh yeah RTAPI kernels have had some issues with screen resolutions in the past. One cause I did see in my case was when the grub boot menu was configured with GFX rather than TEXT. That was a fun issue to track down.
If you are going to continue with KDE as your desktop then I guess install would be via a std debian ISO, install the kernel and then install Linuxcnc.
With MESA ethernet there is no need for a base thread at all.

And none of us (that I'm aware of, not that I think that would be the case anyways) get any kickbacks for suggesting Mesa hardware, it just seems to work & work well. So much so that us Aussies are willing to pay the shipping costs to get our hands on dem fancy boards.

Anyways keep us all up to date and thanks for all your hard work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
30 Sep 2020 02:58 #184346 by seuchato
BB
Thanks for your comments and the flowers.

For the retrofit of the FP2NC we will definitely switch over to mesa stuff - and then for good. For the time being, I have to stick with what is laying around. The BOB on partport are limited and do give you some troubles, I know, but that's what I got for now.
Besides: the parport is still there, it is dirt cheap, so are BOB's. when it works, it works nicely. I guess, a lot of users will like to go the pp way for quite some time to come. Plus I sold my first bridge mill about 4 years ago after using it for about 5 years. Must have been emc2,6 then. The whole thing is still in use >unchanged< or at least was a couple of weeks ago, when I last saw the guy who bought it. I'd like to call that sustainability.

More
30 Sep 2020 03:07 #184347 by BeagleBrainz
Apart from Wheezy being EOL & 32 bit, is there any reason for not installing that, then upgrading to 2.8 ? RTAPI would more or less sort the latency issues. Or did I miss something if your earlier posts ?
Honestly being EOL on a cnc controller would not cause me too much pain.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds