RaspberryPI or equivalent embedded computer

More
11 Oct 2020 11:17 #185698 by alex.statie
Hello everyone,

Looking for a cheap solution to run LinuxCNC for a plasma cutter.

So far, i have the following hardware options:
Raspberry Pi 4
Orange Pi 4
BeagleBoard

A few questions:

1) Which platform would be most suitable to run LinuxCNC?

2) What kernel/build should i be looking for?

3) Since the target is to go cheap (no MESA ethernet card) and the machine is entirely stepper controlled, can it be done with the 40 pin header (for Rpi) or do i need a BOB?

Thanks you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2020 14:36 #185715 by PCW
For most step motor drives you would need a BOB because
the drives require fairly high current 5V step/dir signals and
the RPI/OrangePI/BeagleBone only provide 3.3V signals with
little current capability and can be damaged if driven with
5V signals

More
24 Oct 2020 22:41 #187145 by branilson
Hello,

Is there a guide or organized documentation for the new Raspberry PI support on LinuxCNC version 2.8? I did some search and only found mention in this forum and some user configurations from scratch.

Thank you!

More
25 Oct 2020 10:26 #187180 by tommylight
There is a ready made image for it in the downloads section of the main LinuxCNC page.

More
25 Oct 2020 21:26 #187225 by branilson
Thank you, Tommy.

Yeah, I know. But I don't have the board yet and I would like to know more about that previously. Most of the mentions I see tells about Mesa boards. I would like to know how to use straight GPIO without external boards.

Cheers!

More
25 Oct 2020 22:03 #187234 by MalteS
@Alex

I have used a BBB with Machinekit to convert a Lathe. This needs a BOB and I build mine myself using a Prototype cape and some TTS level shifters / Opto Moduls I got off ebay. Downside is graphics performance (e.g. for preview) and I would not really recommend that unless you're ok to use a light UI. I use touchy and that works well.

Most Embedded Boards are a compromise. Either in terms of graphics performance, the need for external (Mesa) hardware, not well tested Hardware and so on.
My ideal board would be a BeagleBone AI as this has the PRU for fast stepper control and should be able to run a UI. But I don't know if that can be made to work.

And finally: For a cheap machine I'd seriously consider GBRL + some computer to run the UI and send the gcodes.

Malte

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds