RPi4 image has ssh disabled by default?

More
19 Oct 2020 20:38 #186617 by mgmatteo
I just downloaded the precompiled image for the raspberry pi 4. Since I'm running headless I was planning to connect using ssh and enable a remote desktop server like VNC.
Unfortunately SSH connections are refused, so I tried to manually create the empty ssh file in the boot directory to enable it, but without any luck.
Does anybody knows if running the precompiled image it's possible only using a screen + keyboard? Any possibility to connect using a remote host?
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2020 00:12 #186636 by seuchato
As fa as I remember: yes, but can be easily changed with "raspi-config". in debian, you might need to install ssh related packages.

hth
chris

More
20 Oct 2020 07:29 #186658 by mgmatteo
Yes thank you, unfortunately to access raspi-config I have to connect a monitor and... i don't have the micro-hdmi - hmi cable..
I ordered one today.
So if I'm corrected SSH has been removed from the distro, and not just disabled, otherwise I could have been able to reactivate it simply putting the empty file "ssh" in the boot directory of the sd card using my pc.
I think that it would be more usefull to just deactivate it to frre som resource bun leaving it installed (sd space it's not a problem at all)

More
20 Oct 2020 10:44 #186667 by seuchato
to me ssh is just vital. I do not see it using much resources. However, if it was not considered for the RPi distro, the guys certainly had a good reason for it. Me too, I would always have iut reinstalled.

If you use the Pi to make chips, then certainly you will also want to have a display.

Greez
chris

More
20 Oct 2020 13:51 #186681 by andypugh
I will consider putting it in if we re-release the Pi image. I think it should be enabled by default.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds