Request for resources about sources of latency in embedded system design

More
25 Oct 2020 19:36 #187213 by Despontene
I've built a couple of systems using PCs running LinuxCNC, but I'd like to start learning how to create my own embedded computers.

I've found quite a few resources for getting started with the design and manufacture of embedded systems. There are also open source examples like the Blueberry Pi. However, I haven't had much luck finding technical guides discussing the design choices that effect system latency. I also haven't found a really solid guide to understanding the sources of latency in the Linux preempt kernel.

Can you all recommend resources to help me learn about designing embedded systems for low latency applications? I'm most interested in guides to hardware design at the moment, but I would also like to have a deeper understanding of what impacts latency in the Linux real time kernel.

Ultimately I intend to run LinuxCNC on a lot of my projects, so resources using application controllers would be more useful than micro controllers, but anything is welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2020 20:26 #188795 by tommylight
Sorry for the delay, have you had a look at RISC V architecture, it is fully open source and there are some of the big names in the industry looking at it, would be very interesting to give it a run and see how it fairs for real time stuff.

More
10 Nov 2020 00:33 #188829 by bevins
That means recompiling for a different architecture...... Thats alot of work, that requires extensive knowledge. Way beyond my expertise....

More
03 Dec 2020 21:12 #190982 by tommylight

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds