Raspberry Pi 4 LinuxCNC on SSD

More
01 Nov 2020 16:02 #188015 by joshwuh
Hello,

I tried using the search functionality to see if this has been asked before but I didn't find anything relevant.

I've got a Mesa 7I76E that I hope to use with my 4GB Raspberry Pi 4. I've gotten it to communicate and function just fine using the internal MicroSD card, but I've got no real understanding of how I can verify that it is functioning at peak capability. i.e., I don't know if it's performing optimally or if it is suffering as a result of the limitations of the MicroSD card.

I've purchased a portable SSD that I was hoping to use as the "hard drive" for the system instead of the MicroSD card. I've found a number of tutorials for how to do this, but all of them include ensuring the Linux image is totally updated and going through some procedure of updating the EEPROM and so forth.

I'm very much an average (or below average) Linux user, so I am not fully aware of the ramifications of performing all of these updates after installing the LinuxCNC image. In my experience with software and such, updates are absolutely capable of breaking all kinds of unexpected things.

Has anyone successfully gotten LinuxCNC running from an SSD on the Pi 4? Is there a particularly good tutorial? Did you run into issues? Should I be concerned about updating the EEPROM or doing things with the kernal if a tutorial suggests to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2020 15:33 #188117 by Nabazul
I am doing the same and it works perfectly (however boot times are not much quicker using an ssd in my case). I installed linuxcnc on the sdcard and copied everything over to the ssd basically following this tutorial:

The following user(s) said Thank You: joshwuh, DirkF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds