recommended pcs

More
02 Mar 2021 15:34 #200792 by robertspark
recommended pcs was created by robertspark
I know this is a difficult one like asking for which stones on a pebble beach are best.....

any current small form factor dual network adapter pcs recommended with very low cpu and network latency.

this is more a shooting the breeze question....... I've looked at multi core xeons.... but they are pc sized.... or 1u sized...... I've looked at the odroid.... but it's only 1 nic.

I'm not into buying components any more (been there done that!).

I don't need a desktop sized box as use SSD, and m-sata drives and pcie network cards.

more just curious .... what do you use / what would you recommend..... simple reply of maybe manufacturer + model + CPU that works for you.... maybe it could become a sticky for a simple list of usable machines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2021 16:41 #200801 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic recommended pcs
There are already two topic with some models that work and some that do not, but in general the "enterprise edition" PC's from Dell, HP and Fujitsu work almost always for Mesa cards. New PC's are a literal cr@p shoot, had a new Ryzen 5 system with very bad latency, brother has a Ryzen 9 system that is OK, and by now i had 2 other Ryzen 5 systems that work perfectly. The only thing that makes a difference there is the motherboard, cheap ones will not work, expensive ones do work.
This is the last one i put together some days ago, over 1000 Euro and still using an old graphic card and a low end CPU ! The prices have gone way further than NASA ever will.
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2021 20:22 #200815 by Benb
Replied by Benb on topic recommended pcs
I got me HP elitedesk G1 800 tiny, core i5, 8gb ram, 120gb SSD, wireless WIFI and one wired ethernet. I use the wired ethernet to communicate with mesa card and wireless for internet. The PC is the size of a hard drive, fits nicelyt in the back of the monitor (VESA mount). It has descent latency in 40’s usec. I got it from Bestbuy Canada as refurbished for $250; you might be able to source them from Amazon, Newegg, eBay …

More
03 Apr 2021 20:32 - 03 Apr 2021 20:33 #204660 by thomaseg
Replied by thomaseg on topic recommended pcs

this is more a shooting the breeze question....... I've looked at multi core xeons.... but they are pc sized.... or 1u sized...... I've looked at the odroid.... but it's only 1 nic.

...I'm using Odroid H2+ for running linuxcnc with ethercat...it has two ethernet ports...

However, i would also really like a hardware list... people saying "any old pc would do"....but i'd like to buy new stuff from the hardware store...i've been thinking that there might be some industrial pc's purpose built for this?
Last edit: 03 Apr 2021 20:33 by thomaseg.

More
05 Apr 2021 23:32 #204992 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic recommended pcs

However, i would also really like a hardware list... people saying "any old pc would do"....but i'd like to buy new stuff from the hardware store...i've been thinking that there might be some industrial pc's purpose built for this?

Recently it has started to feel like a blacklist rather than a whitelist. ie, most things work fine, with a few exceptions.

I only have one data point.
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...ore+%28300%2C+310%29
These are exceptional for latency with both RTAI and Preempt-rt. But that isn't a touch-screen. However with a parport and 2 x PCI they work well. One of them is my main test PC, with a 5i25, PCI parport. 7i80 on the ethernet and a 7i43 on the onboard parport.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds