Remora - Rpi Software Stepping Using External Microcontroller via SPI

More
27 Nov 2021 22:44 - 27 Nov 2021 22:46 #227785 by scotta
Anyone recognise this board? It has SD card and Ethernet.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Nov 2021 22:46 by scotta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2021 17:12 #227822 by Cncninja
everyone keeps talking about encoder inputs.. Are we talking real servos with feedback or software one that looks at the output pulses to verify output? I have 5 CNC machines and only one has encoders, am I missing something? i think most diy are openloop other the spindle.

Thanks

More
28 Nov 2021 18:44 #227829 by Aaroncnc
I think most people do use open loop.
But as I have been upgrading I have added encoders to all axis.
I love the ability to have a encoder on my spindle for rigid taping. I might only do it a bit but it's great to have.

More
28 Nov 2021 20:35 - 28 Nov 2021 21:18 #227844 by AlessandroEmm

Hi there

I see this project is targeted mostly at printers is there a reason why I couldn't be using it with a Black Pill + Chinese BOB? If so what would I need to do to achieve this? I'm surprised this Idea is not more popular looking at the other MCU Projects (Arduino, Teensy, ESP32..)

Sorry I have not setup any linuxcnc ever so its a bit hard for me to asses even though I can read code. :-)

Thanks a lot!
Alessandro

EDIT: Sorry I realised the last few pages were actually about this topic: is there a working project with this or people using SKRs with external drivers?

Last edit: 28 Nov 2021 21:18 by AlessandroEmm. Reason: Missing Infos

More
28 Nov 2021 23:04 #227856 by Aaroncnc
I am using mine on a CNC mill.
I use external stepper motor drivers.
I also have a board that converts pwm into true 0-10v spindle control.
You just need a rpi4 and one of the supported 3d printer main boards
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlessandroEmm

More
29 Nov 2021 21:15 #227951 by Bari

everyone keeps talking about encoder inputs.. Are we talking real servos with feedback or software one that looks at the output pulses to verify output? I

I'm talking about real AC or DC servos or closed loop steppers with hardware encoders that read actual machine position or motor shaft position back to a PID. Not just a stepgen that double checks its Step count. Encoders are very low cost now compared to a decade or two ago.

More
10 Dec 2021 22:43 #228827 by Bari
$15 SPI bus extender board    Using a ±60V fault protected differential transceiver, the LTC4332 can transmit SPI data, including an interrupt signal, up to 2MHz over two twisted-pair cables. 

It uses the LTC4332

Haven't tried it yet with Remora.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Dec 2021 07:09 #228903 by AlessandroEmm
Have you documented your setup somewhere? Very curious how it looks in reality, thanks!

More
12 Dec 2021 19:37 #228940 by blazini36
Any chance of looking at moving the Teensy 4.x into this project? Been thinking about trying to get some use out of one on my LinuxCNC machines but no real projects have popped up yet..... 600mhz (can overclock to 1ghz), 4 hardware encoders that can theoretically run @ 150mhz, ethernet, SPI, pins are a bit limited but there's ways around that.

For the hardware encoders to be utilized, a special library is used....
github.com/mjs513/Teensy-4.x-Quad-Encoder-Library

Like I said I make a few things using Teensy's so I'm hoping someone gets a LinuxCNC thing going so I can do something along those lines

Attachments:

More
12 Dec 2021 20:05 #228942 by Bari
You already found the other thread for the Teensy 4.1 forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/43212-teensy-based-cnc-board

Nobody has publicly posted their intentions or code for the Teensy 4.1 yet. Just questions and some info about it so far.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds