Remora - ethernet

More
01 Jan 2022 05:04 - 01 Jan 2022 05:07 #230431 by scotta
Remora - ethernet was created by scotta
Remora will soon be available to more than just the Raspberry Pi with work ongoing for ethernet capability. Inspired by the work done on ESP32, I've now got the first code working for Remora ethernet. 

This first attempt is just about getting the ethernet communications working on the LinuxCNC component side. It's hacked into the SPI version currently but with a little clean up will be its own stand alone component that can be used with any PC.

First code is up in the features/ethernet branch: github.com/scottalford75/Remora/tree/feature/ethernet

Work to do:
1. Clean up the LinuxCNC component code
2. Get the w5500 receive interrupt working to remove the need to poll for packets
3. Get SPI DMA working to increase the transfer speed and reduce the servo period
4. Firmware code clean-up with a separate Ethernet class(s) implementation with config.txt configuration of IP addresses etc

and then get native ethernet working on the STM32 to do away with the w5500. Test board is on its way.
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jan 2022 05:07 by scotta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, AlessandroEmm, satsuma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2022 05:09 #230432 by Aaroncnc
Replied by Aaroncnc on topic Remora - ethernet
Do you believe the Ethernet version of remora will be superior to the spi or vice versa?

More
01 Jan 2022 05:14 #230433 by scotta
Replied by scotta on topic Remora - ethernet
They will have the same capability. Ethernet comms is really stable with the test bench running for 3+ days without packet loss.

The advantage of the ethernet version is being able to use any LinuxCNC capable PC or SBC.

I'll still use the SPI version for my 3D printers though as it's nice and compact.

More
01 Jan 2022 07:58 #230437 by ALittleOffTheRails
Looking good, cheers.

Any chance of being able to set timing values for the stepper drivers ? Or choose the values during the build process ?

More
01 Jan 2022 13:29 #230447 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Remora - ethernet
I have dismantled 2 of the Creality CR-10 Max to build something much faster at 450x450x500mm with enclosed case, so now i have 2 boards to play with, so here we go:
-can an arduino ethernet shield be used as i have one?
And i have to open them and check what they use for control, i know they have silent drives, nothing else.
P.S.
I have to watch the video on the big monitor as it looks you are using the same shield! :)

More
01 Jan 2022 16:53 #230464 by Cncninja
Replied by Cncninja on topic Remora - ethernet
Man looks great there are a bunch of Boards that have built-in Ethernet.... You need to trash those step stick drivers and slap some TMC's in there that noise...,LOL

More
01 Jan 2022 23:04 #230495 by scotta

Man looks great there are a bunch of Boards that have built-in Ethernet.... You need to trash those step stick drivers and slap some TMC's in there that noise...,LOL

Definitely but they are occupied in working machines. Once you hear the difference you would never use them for anything but testing.

Besides the Duet boards (which Remora does not support) there does not seem to be a lot of STM32 boards equipped with ethernet. Which one(s) were you thinking of?

More
01 Jan 2022 23:08 #230496 by scotta

I have dismantled 2 of the Creality CR-10 Max to build something much faster at 450x450x500mm with enclosed case, so now i have 2 boards to play with, so here we go:
-can an arduino ethernet shield be used as i have one?
And i have to open them and check what they use for control, i know they have silent drives, nothing else.
P.S.
I have to watch the video on the big monitor as it looks you are using the same shield! :)

It looks like the Arduino Ethernet Shield 2 uses the w5500 and the version 1 the w5100. So the v2 should work straight up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
02 Jan 2022 01:22 #230508 by Aaroncnc
Replied by Aaroncnc on topic Remora - ethernet
Well i just ordered a w5500 will be fun to play around on.
Been super busy these last few months.

More
05 Jan 2022 06:03 #230832 by AlessandroEmm
Replied by AlessandroEmm on topic Remora - ethernet
hey there @scotta

Very cool way this is heading. I think it has been asked before will the current codebase work on blackpills (f411)? It would make such an affordable combo w5500+f411+chinese bob.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds