What computer to buy

More
01 Feb 2022 15:28 - 01 Feb 2022 15:29 #233714 by Jigger
What computer to buy was created by Jigger
Hey Guys!

I am new to this forum, as i finally want to make the leap to Linux cnc.

Five years ago i have been building a small BT30 epoxy granite cnc (weighs in at some 500lbs). using 25mm linear rails and 20mm ballscrews. Been running it successfully with steppers on mach3 ever since. This year i want to convert it to servos and glass scales and implement a 12 tool ATC, so i am starting sourcing all the parts right now.

From a bunch of other guys working with linux cncc i know they use e.g. the Asrock J3455B-ITX as a mainboard, however this is not available any more. I am looking into getting a board with a similar form factor that has decent latency (need that for using the glass scale in a closed loop). Could you recommend me any board?

I am totally new to linux and linux cnc, so i really have no clue when it comes to choosing the right board.

BR
Andy
Last edit: 01 Feb 2022 15:29 by Jigger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2022 23:04 #233757 by my1987toyota
Replied by my1987toyota on topic What computer to buy
I don't know of a specific mother board however I highly recommend the Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Form Factor. You could always
take the guts out of one of them and slap in a SSD and run 8 gigs of ram. If you want something smaller you could always
use the 9020 micro . The processor is slightly slower but it uses mostly the same computer parts. I am sure their will be
others that will chime in. Best of luck with your project.

More
01 Feb 2022 23:16 #233759 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic What computer to buy
Just got a Dell 9020 USFF a few days back, 80 Euro delivered with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD, installed LinuxCNC with Mint 19.3, from a short test seems fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, my1987toyota

More
06 Feb 2022 20:10 #234166 by my1987toyota
Replied by my1987toyota on topic What computer to buy
WOW. I was kind of figuring at least some kind of follow up.
 Hey tommylight  have you seen any difference between running one big stick of ram or two sticks of the same total
capacity 8 gigs vs 2@ 4gigs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Feb 2022 22:41 #234189 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic What computer to buy
I am sure that two sticks of 4GB will be better than a single stick of 8GB as all processors from core2 i think use dual channel RAM access, but the difference is only noticeable on heavy memory use apps, and latency will be a bit lower always. It will not do miracles for latency, so a bad latency PC will have bad latency, except when a memory module already in use has issues causing latency excursions.
-it is always good to have another memory module to test with if the PC has bad latency,
-even a bad module when paired with a good one will help with latency,
-some PC just have bad latency, be it from bad memory lane design or lousy electronics or even worse power savings implementation, use of low quality power stages that cause the processor to throttle down whenever it tries to use more power, etc etc.
Oh, and then there are dual rank memory modules, not the same as dual channel, but only on new systems and works properly only on AMD systems as far as i could gather. I do have 2X16GB of dual rank on this PC (the mini monster), and i must say it is noticeable when using multiple apps at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds