Raspberry Pi 4 - USB not working under LinuxCNC

More
24 Apr 2022 08:29 #241054 by MTronics
Hello rodw,

thanks for your input.

In case that you are interested in my results using the link you provided =>

I tried the Debian 12 Testing (Bookworm) package, from your link, on a 64GB SD card without any special pre-formattíng of the card, using the Rasberry Pi Imager program. After SD card was flashed/veryfied I got follwing error message:
"Unable to customize. File 'K:/config.txt' does not exist".

Regardless, I tried to boot the RasPi from that the SD card and the boot failed with following message:
"Boot failed: Unable to read partition as FAT"

I tried to partition the SD card (under Windows 10) and setting it up with a 32GB volume. That didn't work either, using again the imager. Same error message.

When I use RasPi images, i don't have such problems with the same 64GB SD card.

Greetings

Stefan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2022 10:26 - 24 Apr 2022 10:28 #241055 by rodw
I spent all day today playing with a Raspberry Pi  to see if I could install from the new package in debian testing.
I was able to install from the Debian images
It proved to be very unreliable and hung repeatably no matter what I did.
The problem I had is there was no preempt_rt patch for 5.15 and I did not know how to install the preempt_rt patch which on amd64, is installed with linuxcnc.

In the end, I installed from the complete image on this post as they had a preempt_rt 5.15 kernel
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc?start=130#238020
Which worked perfectly with very low latency. 

I then uninstalled linuxcnc and attempted to install it again from the testing (aka bookworm) branch which is ahead of the stable (aka bullseye) branch. we are using here This seemed to work ok but when I tried to open qtplasmac, it failed looking for python-gst1.0 and I was unable to resolve the error.

So I think the way forward to get an updated version of linuxcnc master branch  is to use the forum post and  compile from source and install the deb files.

This is quite easy and I have a screen share of how to do it  here 

Last edit: 24 Apr 2022 10:28 by rodw.

More
24 Apr 2022 10:59 #241061 by phillc54

More
24 Apr 2022 16:29 #241078 by cakeslob
Hey rod, what version of qt gets built with rpi bullseye? Did qtplasmac work on rpi buster? im just wondering if its the same build as from buster

I am very interested in a "how to" compile LinuxCNC from source. You mentioned it isn't particularly difficult and I would like to dive into this topic with the target RasPi in mind. Therefore, any help or pointers into this subject are apreciated, like a simple (less workload for the authour/writer) step by step approach, incl. pointers to where I can find "THE" LinuxCNC source files (GitHub?) and maby how to createt the build with corresponding "make" settings. All with RasPi 4B in mind.

hey, here are the resources I use when building an rpi for linuxcnc, everything is probably for buster though

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...bian-64-bit-linuxcnc
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/uspace/index.html
forum.linuxcnc.org/32-documents/34495-in...al-version-git-clone
github.com/LinuxCNC/raspberrypi-linux

More
25 Apr 2022 08:11 #241178 by elovalvo

Hello Andy,

thanks for your quick reply.

I was aware of the post/link that you provided. I was a bit concerned downloading from that link not knowing the source (security reasons). I also didn't install a kernel separately. I just used the image file from linuxCNC.org:
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/getting-st...lling_on_raspbian_10

Do you have a recommendation how I can proceed?

Thanks

Stefan

If you want to continue using version 2.8.2, 32-bit, as suggested by cakeslob
you can start with this version of RaspiOS
www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-s...spberry-pi-os-legacy

Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) with desktop
Release date: April 4th 2022
System: 32-bit
Kernel version: 5.10
Debian version: 10 (buster)

and on this install the 32-bit version of Preempt-RT for kernel 5.10 from here
github.com/kdoren/linux/releases
KERN=5.10.90-rt61-v7l+

Then, using gdebi, the version from the buildbot repository
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/buster/2.8-rtpreempt/binary-armhf/

I have successfully tried on Rpi400 and Raspberry Pi 4 with 4Gb

If you want to stay safe, you can always build your own 64-bit version of LinuxCNC
The steps are as follows:

a) Download a 64-bit version of RaspiOS from here
downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_arm64/images/

b) apply the patch for the Preempt-RT as described here:
github.com/kdoren/linux/releases

c) Compile the master version of LinuCNC as described here
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-11?start=10#236266

If you do not want to recompile the LinuCNC, you can use this version,
ftp.it.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lin...00863908-4_arm64.deb
but it needs the installation of Python 3.10
computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-python-on-debian-linux/

You will thus have the most up-to-date and, certainly, the most secure version.

Good luck with your work!

More
25 Apr 2022 09:39 #241182 by rodw

Hey rod, what version of qt gets built with rpi bullseye? Did qtplasmac work on rpi buster? im just wondering if its the same build as from buster

I don't know about QT versions.
From what Phill said on another thread, qtpvcp that qtplasmac uses won't run on a pi due to  an opengl issue
I have not used buster for over 12 months and went to Bullseye about 2 weeks before it became the current stable branch.
Everything I want to do requires master branch so eliminating python 2 was a big plus for me.
I've been told QTPYVCP can be coaxed to run on a pi so I might try my hand with that.

I'm also interested in the Remora supported hardware. and colourcnc

I was really hoping that I would have been able to run Debian testing from their own images raspi.debian.net/
You can but the preempt_rt made it unstable

More
25 Apr 2022 11:23 #241195 by ALittleOffTheRails
Ok who is a money bags and has the access to technical resources to design and produce a Open Source RISC V processor & system and then bend debian to their will ?

More
25 Apr 2022 19:40 - 25 Apr 2022 19:46 #241240 by rodw

If you want to stay safe, you can always build your own 64-bit version of LinuxCNC
The steps are as follows:

This was a very useful thread.
Thanks for that. I was able to install the 64 bit kernel and the real time patch and compile from source.
The normal method to list the dependencies on this page did not work so I borrowed a list from the qtpyvcp web site and used this modified list:
sudo apt install -y  git debhelper dh-python libudev-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev bwidget tclx libeditreadline-dev asciidoc dblatex docbook-xsl dvipng ghostscript graphviz groff imagemagick inkscape python3-lxml source-highlight w3c-linkchecker xsltproc texlive-extra-utils texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish texlive-latex-recommended asciidoc-dblatex python3-dev python3-tk libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtk-3-dev gettext intltool autoconf libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev psmisc yapps2 libepoxy-dev python3-xlib python3-pyqt5 python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python3-pyqt5.qtopengl python3-pyqt5.qsci python3-pyqt5.qtmultimedia python3-pyqt5.qtquick qml-module-qtquick-controls gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad  libqt5multimedia5-plugins pyqt5-dev-tools python3-dev python3-setuptools python3-wheel python3-pip python3-yapps dpkg-dev python3-serial libtk-img qttools5-dev qttools5-dev-tools python3-wheel espeak espeak-data espeak-ng freeglut3 gdal-data gstreamer1.0-tools libaec0 libarmadillo10 libarpack2 libcfitsio9 libcharls2 libdap27 libdapclient6v5  libespeak1 libfreexl1 libfyba0  libgdcm3.0  libgeos-c1v5 libgeotiff5 libgif7  libgtksourceview-3.0-dev libhdf4-0-alt libhdf5-103-1 libhdf5-hl-100 libimagequant0 libkmlbase1 libkmldom1 libkmlengine1 liblept5 libmariadb3 libminizip1 libodbc1 libogdi4.1  libportaudio2 libpq5  libprotobuf23 libqhull8.0 librttopo1 libsocket++1 libspatialite7 libsuperlu5 libsz2 libtbb2 libtesseract4 liburiparser1 libxerces-c3.2 libxml2-dev mariadb-common mesa-utils mysql-common odbcinst odbcinst1debian2 proj-bin proj-data python3-configobj python3-espeak python3-gi-cairo python3-olefile python3-opencv python3-opengl python3-pil python3-pil.imagetk python3-pyqt5.qtsvg python3-pyqt5.qtwebkit tcl-tclreadline geotiff-bin gdal-bin glew-utils libgtksourceview-3.0-doc libhdf4-doc libhdf4-alt-dev hdf4-tools odbc-postgresql tdsodbc ogdi-bin python-configobj-doc libgle3 python-pil-doc  python3-sqlalchemy python3-gst-1.0

You should just be able to paste that block into the terminal

I think now I should try bookworm again but manually install the preempt_rt package using the method linked to above.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2022 19:46 by rodw.

More
25 Apr 2022 19:44 #241241 by rodw

It should be installable:
packages.debian.org/bookworm/python3-gst-1.0

On a second attempt, I did install this package but this is the error I got with qtplasmac qtvcp
python3.10: pthread_mutex_lock.c:424: __pthread_mutex_lock_full: Assertion `e != ESRCH || !robust' failed.
/home/pi/devel/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc: line 963: 51375 Aborted                 $EMCDISPLAY -ini "$INIFILE" $EMCDISPLAYARGS $EXTRA_ARGS
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...

More
25 Apr 2022 19:51 #241243 by MTronics
Hello elovalvo,

great input. Thanks a lot!

My workaround (RasPi 4 w/ 4GB) was:
1) Install Raspberry Pi 10 Buster 32bit from RaspberryPi.com
2) Limit memory used by adding "total_mem=3072" to /boot/config.txt, to avoid USB not working with RT kernel (see next step) i.e., mouse & keyboard not working
3) follow linuxcnc.org to install RT kernel and LinuxCNC, see "7.3. Installing on Raspbian 10"

Again, thanks a lot for your input/help.

Stefan
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, fletch

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds