Touch Screen/Display Advice or Recommendations

More
05 Sep 2022 10:30 #251222 by fletch
I've finally reached the point where I want to formalise the setup of my install - the old monitor+mouse just won't cut it.

Advice would be appreciated of touch screen displays - both compatibility and size.

These are the two I'm currently looking at:

thepihut.com/products/13-3-ips-capacitiv...-with-case-1920x1080
At 1920x1080 the resolution is good but at 13.3" it might be a little small - although I hope to use the Manualmatic for most interactions. Eventually.

And:

thepihut.com/products/hannspree-ht161hnb-15-6-touch-monitor
The 1366x768 resolution is a little underwhelming but should be OK for gmoccapy(?)

Both seem to insist on the 'latest' PiOS, so any experience with LinuxCNC on a Pi would be welcome.

Or are there better alternatives (available in UK) you might recommend?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2022 17:31 - 05 Sep 2022 17:40 #251239 by JPL
Have a look at here: forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/46729-tou...in-ubuntu-and-debian

This seems to be a recommendation for the Asus VT229, which is a 21" touch monitor. Should be about the same for the less expensive VT168 which is 15". (I did not personally used any of those two). Available at Amazon UK too.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2022 17:40 by JPL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fletch

More
05 Sep 2022 19:40 #251250 by fletch
Thank you Jean-Pierre - can I ask what size screen you use? I'm looking towards the smaller one simply because of the space available but don't want to buy twice!

More
11 Sep 2022 19:07 - 04 Oct 2022 12:40 #251698 by rdtsc
I ordered one of these:
www.waveshare.com/product/raspberry-pi/d...mi-lcd.htm?sku=18188

Have to make some additions to `config.txt` if using a RPi but it works well.  Very thin, includes adhesive tape on the bezel.  They have a mounting plan on their site which should be followed (needs back support as the layers are only held together with adhesive.)  Bright, responsive, decent size, lightweight, not too expensive.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2022 12:40 by rdtsc. Reason: Added comments after use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fletch

More
12 Sep 2022 00:14 - 12 Sep 2022 00:16 #251714 by JohnnyCNC
I use the Asus VT229. I've had it for about two years or so. No problems so far. I use it with QTDragon on Mint 19.3 and LinuxCNC 2.8.x. The only thing I don't like is the glossy screen I like matte screens much better. But the glossy is probably better and more durable since I am touching it all the time and sometimes with oil on my hands. It does clean easily. And for those mighht worry about an errant chip hitting the screen and "pushing" a button. I've never had that happen. When I first got it I threw chips at it trying to make it react and nothing.
I mounted the screen at face height on a hinged frame on the corner of my enclosure so I can fold it back flat against the end of the enclosure when not in use. I built the hinge pins with wavy washers so I could sent the amount of force it takes to fold it back. That way it doesn't move when I push (touch) the buttons on the screen.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2022 00:16 by JohnnyCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight, fletch, Unlogic

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds