Anyone using Odroid H3?

More
06 Dec 2022 17:06 #258719 by spacemanspiffee
I have an Odroid H2 currently running my router, and I am putting together a linuxcnc setup for a simple lathe and went to get another H2 but was disappointed to see they had been discontinued.

Found the H3 on their website and didn't find any posts about it here. Was wondering if anyone had success setting up the H3. Not really looking to be the guinea pig on this one since it's not my lathe that I'm setting up.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2022 22:40 #258920 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Anyone using Odroid H3?
There is a post about one here, from mwc.

Looks to be working other than EtherCAT.

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...s-on-bookworm#257512
The following user(s) said Thank You: spacemanspiffee

More
09 Dec 2022 09:15 #258979 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Anyone using Odroid H3?
There is no reason it won't work with Ethercat. I amusing a H2+ with Ethercat and its not really any different.
Ethercat adds a great deal of complexity to a config so you don't know what the issue is.
but:  wiki.odroid.com/odroid-h3/hardware/insta...net_driver_on_h3plus "There is an r8169 driver for the RTL8125B series in the Linux kernel 5.9 and above, but the stock driver in the Linux kernel tree has 15~30% lower performance than the vendor's custom driver (Realtek) on a 2.5GbE subnet."

I wish Debian's kernel team paid attention....This driver needs to be installed....

More
09 Dec 2022 09:47 #258980 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Anyone using Odroid H3?

I wish Debian's kernel team paid attention....This driver needs to be installed....

Is the driver in question FOS?

Debian seems to be re-thinking whether to include non-free in the standard installer.
lwn.net/Articles/906380/

More
09 Dec 2022 10:43 #258985 by rodw
Andy, The decision had been made to bundle the non-free firmware with the Debian Bookworm release ISO. The vote concluded  early October.
Option 5 was the winner
  • Option 5 "Change SC for non-free firmware in installer, one installer"
Ref: www.debian.org/vote/2022/vote_003#outcome

Phew, I had read this had happened, took a bit of time to get to the source....

More
09 Dec 2022 10:57 #258987 by rodw
By way of further explanation, the Realtek RTL8125 driver used on the Odroid is not FOS. Support for the driver was included in Kernel 5.9 (before bullseye). But for some reason, Debian has introduced significant latency into realtek drivers from Kernel 5.10 (bullseye) and on.. This is not the case with some other non-debian based distros. ( I tried Arch Linux). This is a significant issue with mesa cards as it generates an error finishing read which disables the card.

Its been reported to me by one H2 user that the latency is resolved if the original Realtek driver is used.

Interestingly, this is not an issue with Ethercat as I have never had an issue with my H2+ Bullseye  Ethercat system.

For linuxcnc, I don't think the H3+ is worth the extra money but be prepared to install the realtek driver

More
09 Dec 2022 16:54 #259013 by spacemanspiffee
Rod, couple questions.

What is the original Realtek driver for the H2? and how do I find and install it?
(newbie question I know, but I only ever spend enough time to get things working so I have to relearn everything when something breaks)

My router uses that computer and does occasionally have issues with my meas card being disconnected, but it has been very intermittent and I haven't been able to track it down.

Regarding the H3+ I was actually planning just to use the H3 since that is in stock, and I thought would be good enough. Part of my thinking with using the H3 is that it's pretty easy to get, and has a fairly good chance of being around in 6 months or a year if something goes wrong and I need to replace the computer. And that way, I already have all the setup figured out.

More
09 Dec 2022 17:19 #259016 by rodw
www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/categor...pci-express-software
You should not have anything connected to the same NIC as a Mesa card. But using the second NIC or wifi is OK to connect to the rest of your network

More
09 Dec 2022 19:42 #259039 by mwc
Replied by mwc on topic Anyone using Odroid H3?
As Andy has mentioned, I have an H3+, but it's been put to the side for now.

As well as the ongoing issue that I can't get the ethercat driver to compile on it, I have an issue with QT/Py GUIs not working.
The H3(+) requires a 6.x kernel to allow the graphics to work, which means using Bookworm, but on some installs, Bookworm seems to cause issues with QT/Py that cause any GUIs using those to be loaded with no toolpath display (and on some GUIs that results in error message popups whenever you do something that triggers a change in the toolpath).

I suspect both issues are path related, but nobody seems to have found a solution, and my knowledge of Linux isn't good enough to work out what the issue is :/

I'm hoping somebody can figure out the issue(s) before the machine the H3+ is destined for is ready for a computer, but worst case scenario I'll buy a more mature computer that doesn't require the latest drivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spacemanspiffee

More
07 Jan 2023 16:35 #261178 by dlv
Replied by dlv on topic Anyone using Odroid H3?
Intently following this.

Was going to ask the same question as the OP. I've been working with an i7 based Mac mini (2012 model) thinking it's way more machine than I need for a Mesa 7i76E setup but finding that it is throwing random spikes in the ethernet delay that drops connection with the Mesa. BIOS on Macs is funky so considering other options.

The Odroid looks like a very solid option if the H3 kernel issues and such get worked out. I'd rather not be experimenting with bleeding edge. Want to focus on learning to run the machine and have a solid computer & software setup. As much as possible.

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds