Acer UT241Y touch screen support

More
21 Jun 2023 16:58 - 21 Jun 2023 16:58 #273992 by dokwine
... apologies if this is the wrong forum for this

I'm planning on running QT Dragon HD, and have come by a new Acer touch screen. Has anyone else used one of these?  Will special drivers be required to support it, or touch screens just appear as generic pointing devices? I see that acer has drivers for Windows available but find nothing for Linux.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2023 16:58 by dokwine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2023 22:23 #274011 by tommylight
Did you try it?
If you have the monitor, download the Debian BookWorm ISO, the Live Hybrid version, write it to USB stick and boot the PC from it, see if the touchscreen works.
Most do work out of the box, my 23" Dell does, my Acer and HP tablets do, etc etc. No drivers needed.
-
Moved to "computer and OS's" section of the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dokwine

More
22 Jun 2023 01:01 #274018 by dokwine
Thanks Tommy. I'm currently on 2.8.4 Buster. I've tried a number of the QT_Dragon sims; works from the mouse - not from the touch screen. I will look for the BookWorm ISO and see if that helps.

My 1st touch screen and not sure what to expect. NO instructions. I've just plugged into a USB for on the screen and hoped for the best.

More
22 Jun 2023 01:22 - 22 Jun 2023 01:25 #274020 by dokwine
Mystery solved. The monitor has 2 - type A ports and one USB C port.

Trial and error found that only the USB C port will support touchscreen.   Not documented :(

FWIW an A to C converter cable worked fine. A reboot may have been required. Thanks for the suggestion to try a sim. I was dreading getting QTVCP hooked up for my hardware and not knowing if the monitor would even work.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2023 01:25 by dokwine.

More
22 Jun 2023 11:51 #274038 by tommylight
The two USB A are for connecting other stuff to monitor, not for touch screen.
Can be used for USB sticks, wifi, keyboard, mice, camera etc.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds