Allocating a particular network config to a specific network card on startup

More
26 Jun 2023 16:18 #274259 by tommylight
When you created new connections, you did not assign what network card each connection should use, hence the changes after reboot. Even if you do assign the card, each of those will still have 2 active connections, as explained above, Linux can have multiple network connections with multiple IP addresses for a single network card.
Delete means delete.
You can also edit those, but you will still have 4 active connections for 2 network cards, hence "delete the created ones", not the default ones named "wired connection 1" and "wired connection 2", these two need to be edited and their name can also be changed to whatever makes it easier to discern.
This shows the default wired connections, in my case just one, double click each to edit.

Or, if this seems easier
-delete all wired connections
-create two new connections assigning each to a network card
This is the simplest way, so probably should have started with this! :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Waldemar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2023 16:53 #274265 by Waldemar
That's exactly what I hadn't done: selected the hardware specific to the config in the ethernet tab. Didn't even notice it in my rush to get to the IPv4 tab.

Sorted the issue, many thanks.

Wal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Jun 2023 00:54 #274289 by rodw
Its a bit nonstandard becasue normally you owould have a router atteched to the switch that acts as the DHCP server.
It would be better to put the Windows box and the second.NIC on fixed addresses in th e192.168.1.X range as 20.20 will be routable to the internet where 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x are not
You probably need fixed IPs unless you have the DHCP service on your windows enabled
I cover networking basics in my video at about 16 minutes in

More
27 Jun 2023 07:54 - 27 Jun 2023 08:05 #274297 by Waldemar
Many thanks rodw,

(EDIT - just watched a bit of the vid - 172.16.x.x)

Any other fixed address ranges worth considering?  If I use the 192.168 range then some Adobe software on my laptop stops working (cloud sync, for example) as the software always defaults to the wired connection on the 192.168 range (no internet) - the only way I can get around this is to give the wired connection a non standard range IP and then the Adobe software looks elsewhere (in my case it switches to my phones wifi hotspot which provides an auto DHCP 192.168 address).

Wal.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2023 08:05 by Waldemar.

More
27 Jun 2023 08:17 #274298 by rodw
well just use 172.16.1.x

Don't forget the net mask  of 255.255.255.0 can be used so 
the 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x .... are kept separate from each other
The following user(s) said Thank You: Waldemar

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds