Fresh install freezes when running glxgears

More
03 Apr 2024 19:13 - 03 Apr 2024 19:15 #297523 by reneas
As the topic says, after a fresh install of LinuxCNC 2.9.2 the system crashes when I run glxgears...
The screen freezes completely and I can't input anything. It still works to move the mouse but I can't click anything. Keyboard shortcuts aren't working as well. 
What can I do?

My graphics card is a Nvidia 6600 GT and I did sudo apt update & upgrade after installing. 
Last edit: 03 Apr 2024 19:15 by reneas. Reason: Clarification

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2024 19:40 #297532 by tommylight
Did you install drivers for graphic card?
Do not, they cause trouble with real time kernels.
Nvidia always caused issues with latency, but locking the screen, i never had that.
Does the motherboard have integrated graphic? If yes, yank Nvidia out and give it a try.

More
04 Apr 2024 22:37 #297605 by reneas
Hmmm might have installed some... How can I remove them? Or should I run a new fresh install? The weird thing is, that glxgears worked on that PC but now it doesn't anymore. I can't remember if I used the on board graphics or internal graphics card for that...
I'll hopefully look into it tomorrow and get back to this thread! 

More
05 Apr 2024 13:22 #297644 by reneas
okay so when taking out the graphics card running glxgears works perfectly fine. with the graphics card inserted it still doesn't work at all.

I also tried to use the
vblank_mode=0
option but that also didn't help. So is the only possibility to get this to work to just not use a graphics card? i thought when using one the latency of the pc will drop because the motherboard is not that busy or is that wrong?

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds